PDA

View Full Version : first month of Ubuntu

occy8
March 28th, 2005, 09:43 AM
A little reflection
I downloaded Ubuntu Hoary about a month ago, burned the CD and of it went.
The install was easy just one weird error message on the first boot, but screen, sound, USB mouse, Cd, USB-memory worked fine. Then came the USB-ADSL modem - shock horror, it took almost a week to make the bastard work, thanks to the community here and eciadsl. My ISP was part of the problem being really helpful. "Sorry linux is not supported" was all they said when asked for configuration details.
Next was the USB Lexmark printer. First google searches for a driver came back with results like "Lexmark? forget it, they won't work", but after a few hours I found one driver and it worked like a dream. Next task getting multimedia to work, again with some help it was relatively easy. Itwas just a matter of swapping Totem gstreamer for xine. Now its just a matter of getting used to the Gnome UI. I used to work with Openoffice and Gimp in Windows, so no problems here.

Windows is still there but downgraded to Wintendo :grin: Haven't used it for anything else for a week now and don't think I will ever again.
I played with other Linux distros before but this is the first to achive this goal
WELL DONE UBUNTUS

bored2k
March 28th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Yes Ubuntu is good . It allowed me to 100% ditch the other OS I have here -only for my family- :D .

And by the way, you can always download Kubuntu if you dislike GNOME. Or try other not so good environments like XFcE or FLuxbox.

occy8
March 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I don't have a problem with Gnome except my cursor sometimes wanders to the left bottom corner when I want to start an application , I know I can change it,but its slightly different anyway so are the other desktops. I used an older KDE before and well its different, but better or worth I wouldn't know and trying another one now is too confusing. Its like in Mandrake or Fedora lets try Gnome, now let see how KDE does it, but when you want to work with it its familiarity that counts, so I keep Gnome for now.

somuchfortheafter
March 29th, 2005, 03:08 PM
how is fluxbox a not so good window manager? granted it takes alot of work but it kicks serious ass once configured correctly.

totalshredder
March 29th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I find myself often using flux and xfce, but soon turning back to gnome; they just get a little bit too featureless for me. However, I think gnome should borrow some of that MADD speed from xfce... wow!!!

I would highly suggest KDE, if you're in the mood. XFCE is always a really fun idea, but flux is only good if you are willing to mess with some files... unless you get fluxconfig (good stuff).

Anyways, good luck my friend!

Luke

occy8
March 29th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys,
I'm sure I try another desktop environment one day. I've got an older computer to mess around with. Its slower of course a Celeron 800 with 128mb Ram, so XFCE would be good on that one.

zenwhen
March 30th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Thanks guys,
I'm sure I try another desktop environment one day. I've got an older computer to mess around with. Its slower of course a Celeron 800 with 128mb Ram, so XFCE would be good on that one.

Yeah I ran XFCE on a P3 866 with 96MB of ram for a while, and it was pretty snappy. It is the only DE that isn't Gnome that I can stand.

bored2k
March 30th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Yeah I ran XFCE on a P3 866 with 96MB of ram for a while, and it was pretty snappy. It is the only DE that isn't Gnome that I can stand.
Same here, and that's because it looks so like Gnome ^_^ .

occy8
March 30th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Would you install Ubuntu and then replace Gnome as default desktop with XFCE or use another distro that already the XFCE as default?