PDA

View Full Version : Programming language to use for GUI development

bala5
October 20th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Hello Junta,
I am in the process of development of a tool which should work in UNIX/Linux OS(later on must be extended to windows)
My need is to develop a GUI where a user draws certain stick diagrams from which I need to extract the details and convert it into a
representation/code native to my tool.

I am pretty new to software programming since I am an hardware engineer but with pretty solid fundamentals in OOP(thanks to Systemverilog that I have been working on).
I have some basic knowledge of C but I am ready to learn any new language provided it solves my need as I need to complete the project in a year's time.

It will be really great if anyone can help me out with your inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Bala

slickymaster
October 20th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Moved to the Programming Talk sub-forum

llanitedave
October 22nd, 2014, 04:45 AM
Easiest to get started with might be Python, as there are some decent GUI tools available: wxPython for Python 2, PyQt for Python 2 and 3, and tkinter which comes bundled. The first two are wrappers around C++ tools, while tkinter uses tcl/tk as its backend language. Any of them work fine on Linux, Mac, and Windows. If you're comfortable with C++, you might skip the Python part and go directly to wxWidgts or QT, but that might involve more boilerplate code to build anything.

From what I remember, all of them provide canvas tools for drawing objects, and Python can define the objects that it draws and translate it to whatever output you need.