PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't understand this one line of code in merge sort - trouble with pointers

IAMTubby
October 20th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Hello,
I've been trying to understand this particular part of merge sort for few days, and finally think that I need some advice.
As mentioned in the comments below, merge(A1, n1, A2, n2, A); combines sorted arrays A1 and A2 into A. I understand merge sort well, but I'm not able to understand how the combined sorted array A copies it's values to A1 or A2 depending on who called it when it goes back to the previous invocation of the recursive function.

Let me explain with an example, Say the initial array was : {3,1,2,6,4,7,5,8}
At some step :
A1 : {1,3},
A2 : {2,6}
now call merge(A1,A2,A). This will give
A : {1,2,3,6}
So far so good, but now when it goes back to the previous invocation after doing the two frees,
A1 : {1,2,3,6}
A2 : {4,7,5,8}
How does A1 get these values? I'm confused because, I feel A has already copied it's values to A1 and A2 before calling merge, which means, any changes in A will not be reflected in A1 and A2?

I would like to understand how, A1 in (i-1)th recursive invocation, gets the values in A in the ith invocation
I think it's something to do with merge_sort(int *A, int n) or something, but please can you elaborate a bit further.

int merge_sort(int *A, int n)
{
int i;
int *A1, *A2;
int n1, n2;

if (n < 2)
return; /* the array is sorted when n=1.*/

/* divide A into two array A1 and A2 */
n1 = n / 2; /* the number of elements in A1 */
n2 = n - n1; /* the number of elements in A2 */
A1 = (int*)malloc(sizeof(int) * n1);
A2 = (int*)malloc(sizeof(int) * n2);

/* move the first n/2 elements to A1 */
for (i =0; i < n1; i++) {
A1[i] = A[i];
}
/* move the rest to A2 */
for (i = 0; i < n2; i++) {
A2[i] = A[i+n1];
}
/* recursive call */
merge_sort(A1, n1);
merge_sort(A2, n2);

/* conquer */
merge(A1, n1, A2, n2, A); //assume this function merges the two sorted arrays A1 and A2 into A
free(A1);
free(A2);
}

PS : I have also attached the entire code in case this code snippet is not sufficient.

ofnuts
October 20th, 2014, 11:33 PM
What happens is:

The function splits A into A1 and A2,
Then it calls itself recursively on both A1 and A2
So after the two calls to merge_sort(), A1 and A2 are assumed sorted.
Then it calls merge(A1, n1, A2, n2, A) to fill A with the ordered values in A1 and A2, so A now contains the initial data, sorted.
Due to the recursive usage of merge_sort(), A1 at the upper level is A at the level under (same pointer value, just different variable names for it)

IAMTubby
October 21st, 2014, 06:42 AM
What happens is:

Due to the recursive usage of merge_sort(), A1 at the upper level is A at the level under (same pointer value, just different variable names for it)

Thanks a lot ofnuts for the reply. merge_sort(A1, n1); calls int merge_sort(int *A, int n). I don't know how I missed that, for three days at a stretch :)

IAMTubby
October 21st, 2014, 03:09 PM
What happens is:

The function splits A into A1 and A2,
Then it calls itself recursively on both A1 and A2
So after the two calls to merge_sort(), A1 and A2 are assumed sorted.
Then it calls merge(A1, n1, A2, n2, A) to fill A with the ordered values in A1 and A2, so A now contains the initial data, sorted.

I'm not able to understand how the combined sorted array A copies it's values to A1 or A2 depending on who called it when it goes back to the previous invocation of the recursive function.
For the benefit of future readers,
I spent some more time thinking as to why I did not get this before ofnuts helped me out with the last line in his reply. It's because this code has call-by-reference on variables inside a recursive function.
Please find my comments below, which is like a summary of my understanding, and might help someone reading this.

/* visualize this as similar to */
/*
somefun()//actually somefun is ith invocation of divide and the divide you see below is i+1 or 1 level deeper invocation of divide
{
_____ \ divide(A1,n/2);
/
| }
|
| divide(int* a, int n)//Which means, A1 from somefun is actually 'a' in divide
| {
| //do all the logic on 'a'
|
| //store sorted array in a(the sort is done by the conquer step, but it's part of 'all the logic'. So logic is basically three steps you could say - merge,merge,conque
| a;
| } |
|__________|//When this divide function finishes all operations and returns to the function which called it - somefun(which in this case is the previous invocation of the same function), it is received with all it's updated contents(because we're doing call-by-reference) in the name in which it was called from the i+1th instance, here the label is A1. So basically it's recursion + call/receive by reference. Phew!

Normally, If I'm doing call-by-reference on a variable, I would prefer to give the same name(label) to the variable in the calling function as well as the called function, like below, just for a visual cue, that, hey, this is the same variable. I know it doesn't matter because we're operating directly on addresses(memory) and so the name doesn't matter.

main()
{
int* a;
a = malloc(5 * sizeof(int));

*a = 3;
*(a+1) = 2;
*(a+2) = 1;
*(a+3) = 4;
*(a+4) = 5;

fun(a);
}

int fun(int* a)