PDA

View Full Version : What IRC channels do you frequent?

markodd
October 20th, 2014, 08:55 AM
My spark for IRC got reignited recently. Sadly, this is not 2000 anymore and there's not many active IRC channels around.

So, what IRC channels do you frequent?

nerdtron
October 20th, 2014, 01:54 PM
When I was experimenting with ceph and open nebula before I was active in their IRC and mailing list. When I'm bored, I'm on the Ubuntu and Xubuntu channels.

Bashing-om
October 20th, 2014, 05:19 PM
markodd; Hello;

You can find me on freenode.net @
#ubuntu
#irssi
#xfce
#ubuntuforums-unanswered
#freenode
#ubuntuforums

inquiring minds want to know

Habitual
October 20th, 2014, 06:26 PM
#ubuntuforums-unanswered I've known to show up there.
My other crowd I hang out with has been around since the mid 1990s. They're on EFnet (don't recommend it, sort of like craigslist for irc)

Same 10 guys doing the same 10 things.

@Freenode is where it's at these days.

@EFnet - I'm dbCooper
@FreeNode - I'm Habitual
Shout out, I'm friendly.

Peace.

Bashing-om
October 20th, 2014, 08:09 PM
@ Habitual; Yeah , Yeahhh

I do note that you are active on #ubuntuforums-unanswered !
I do not have much to say, so I do not say much. I do monitor the channel in the event there is a need of a response from any source; once I am caught up here on the forum.
(sometimes I just hate airing my ignorance)

but hey;

it is all for a good cause

I've known to show up there.
My other crowd I hang out with has been around since the mid 1990s. They're on EFnet (don't recommend it, sort of like craigslist for irc)

Same 10 guys doing the same 10 things.

@Freenode is where it's at these days.

@EFnet - I'm dbCooper
@FreeNode - I'm Habitual
Shout out, I'm friendly.

Peace.

markodd
October 21st, 2014, 11:36 AM
I've a question that probably deserves its own thread but meh, I'll just ask it here instead:

Does anyone know of a XCHAT extension/addon (whatever it's called) that enables different colours for different users? I want to be able to distinguish between users more easily.

slickymaster
October 21st, 2014, 11:54 AM
I've a question that probably deserves its own thread but meh, I'll just ask it here instead:

Does anyone know of a XCHAT extension/addon (whatever it's called) that enables different colours for different users? I want to be able to distinguish between users more easily.

XChat is highly customizable. Colored nicks can be enabled via Settings, Preferences, Interface, Text Box Appearnce. Changes take effect when XChat is restarted.

List of all available plugins for Xchat: http://xchat.org/cgi-bin/disp.pl
XChat 2.0 Plugin Interface documentation: http://xchat.org/docs/plugin20.html#menu

Roasted
October 21st, 2014, 04:21 PM
I frequently grace #ubuntu-offtopic with my presence. :)

Mike_Walsh
October 21st, 2014, 07:38 PM
I've recently started using Freenode; like certain others on here, mainly when I'm bored...

#ubuntu
#xubuntu &
#kubuntu

I don't often get involved; on #kubuntu particularly, there's a small core of folk who are always on, and talking such technical command-line stuff that it mostly goes straight over my head...! :oops:

Bashing-om
October 21st, 2014, 08:37 PM
Mike, Hey;

I've recently started using Freenode; like certain others on here, mainly when I'm bored...

#ubuntu
#xubuntu &
#kubuntu

I don't often get involved; on #kubuntu particularly, there's a small core of folk who are always on, and talking such technical command-line stuff that it mostly goes straight over my head...! :oops:

Ask ! .. I will assume that (K)ubuntu is of a similar vein to (u)buntu IRC .. I often ask to have something explained to me. Many of these peeps on IRC are some kind of smart and eager to share their knowledge. - Same same here on the forum -

all in the process of learning

Mike_Walsh
October 21st, 2014, 09:39 PM
markodd; Hello;

You can find me on freenode.net @
#ubuntu
#irssi
#xfce
#ubuntuforums-unanswered
#freenode
#ubuntuforums

inquiring minds want to know

Hey, Bashing. I'm sometimes on #ubuntu, #xubuntu, and #kubuntu. I occasionally look in on #ubuntuforums, too.....so if ya spot me, come and say hello! :D

I'm on there as mic-w.

Regards,

Mike.

I gotta admit, I think you're right. It's like the new generation of geeks is champing at the bit; as you say, they can't wait to air their knowledge.....but every new generation that comes along seems to develop its own vocabulary, anyway. You MUST have noticed....! :roll::???: