PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Pressed: erase windows and lubuntu. how to recover windows?

Rages
October 19th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Hello everybody,
I have a Gateway lt4010u notebook which came with a preinstalled windows 7 starter. It isn't mine , i've borrowed it from a friend.
I've instaled lubuntu 14.04 on a different partition. I wanted to make a dual boot. But after that i've entered again in the boot manager for lubuntu and pressed ERASE LUBUNTU AND WINDOWS :oops:. I immediatly pressed cancel but apparently was to late. Windows is gone.

Now, the owner of the notebook wants windows back, i prefer lubuntu. So i want to make that dual boot. The problem is that after erasing windows the laptop doesnt boot. I have a bootable usb with windows xp profesional but booting proccess won't start. I've already set it to boot from usb, pressed f12, choosed the usb. But after that it enters straight to lubuntu.

Can anyone give me an advice about this?
Thank you for reading this and for your help!

Vladlenin5000
October 20th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Hi, welcome.

So you're not being able to boot from a (supposedly) bootable Windows installation pendrive?
If so, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
1. Booting from installation media is independent from the already installed OS, if any. You'd be doing the same exact procedure even in a brand new clean HDD or SSD;
2. Windows forums are probably a better source of information about how to create an boot from a bootable USB pendrive with Windows;
3. I know it can be done with Microsoft native tools for Windows 7/8; it *may* be possible to do the same for XP with third-party tools (it's up to you to research about it)

You DON'T want to install XP anyway... It's EoL (Enf of Life) and no longer supported. On top of that you mentioned that the factory installed OS was Windows 7 Starter -and- that the owner wants that back. I don't understand why the XP are being equated...