PDA

View Full Version : Unity top Panel/Cog dropdown: Logout, Shutdown and Lock/Switch Account not Working

myacct
October 19th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I believe that I know what caused this but don't know how to fix it. Any help will be much appreciated!

Here's what happened:

1. Unity search functionality broke on my machine
2. To solve this I set about to uninstall and reinstall unity-scope-home
3. Upon removing unity-scope-home, apt also removed unity-tweak-tool and ubuntu-desktop
4. Next I reinstalled unity-scope-home, unity-tweak-tool and ubuntu-desktop

Doing this did fix the broken unity search, however a side effect seems to be that I've lost shutdown,logout, and lock/switch account functionality from the top right panel from the cog/gear drop down.

Thank you in advance

deadflowr
October 20th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Have you tried a quick logout?
You can logout by pressing ctrl++alt_delete.

Maybe a full compiz reset is in need.
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-to-reset-compiz-and-unity-in-ubuntu.html

Also, you might get the panel functions back with

killall unity-panel-service
might being the keyword here.
The command will kill the panel, which will be automatically reloaded.Whether or not it works as it should is another matter...

myacct
October 20th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Thank you for your advice. I did both, reset compiz and stop/restart the unity-panel-service but neither solved the problem. Also to answer your question, ctrl-alt-delete does bring the logout/shutdown prompt. Thanks again.

myacct
October 20th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Thank you for your advice. I did both, reset compiz and stop/restart the unity-panel-service but neither solved the problem. Also to answer your question, ctrl-alt-delete does bring the logout/shutdown prompt. Thanks again.