PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade requires 63MB extra space, but disk has 93BG free

peterqb
October 19th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Software updater gives an error, requiring 63.1MB more space. It seemed unlikely to me, so I checked the disk use, and Properties reveals that there is 93.5GB free.

I followed the suggestion in the dbox to use 'sudo apt-get clean' but it made no difference.

Is there a way round this? Perhaps use terminal to upgrade? It seems strange that the updater should report this statistic.

TIA

pqb

Elfy
October 19th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Please run df -h in a terminal and paste the output here.

Impavidus
October 19th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Let me guess... It wants more space on the /boot partition but your free space is somewhere else. There are many threads about that, and a new one is started almost daily. Use google with this search string:
site:ubuntuforums.org space on boot partition

peterqb
October 19th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Please run df -h in a terminal and paste the output here.

pqb@pqb-Satellite-A110:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root 107G 14G 88G 14% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev 1.5G 4.0K 1.5G 1% /dev
tmpfs 301M 1.0M 300M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 1.5G 152K 1.5G 1% /run/shm
none 100M 32K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/sda1 228M 177M 40M 82% /boot
pqb@pqb-Satellite-A110:~$

Thanks for the reply
--
pqb

Elfy
October 19th, 2014, 09:24 PM
As Impavidus and I thought - /boot is filling up.

You need to remove old unused kernels.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2248684 is from a few days ago.

Personally I'd install and use synaptic for this.

dpkg -l linux-image-\* | grep ^ii in a terninal will give you some idea of the kernels you have installed.

peterqb
October 19th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have managed to remove some of the old kernels. Found this on google: sudo apt-get autoremove -y && sudo reboot now

Cannot download synaptic, but if the commands I used sort it, then I can do that from time to time. Updates appear to be installing OK now.

Any way of increasing the boot partition and is this a good idea?

Thanks again.
--
pqb

Elfy
October 20th, 2014, 12:01 AM
The long and short of it is you installed with lvm/encryption - that creates a small /boot partition.

I don't use lvm nor have any experience with it - but there are ways to resize lvm - you can't use gparted to do so afaik.

Do that - then you'll be able to increase the size of /boot.

Make sure when you get upgrades that an kernel install triggers at least a memory for you to deal with older ones before you get the same issue again.

Just as a fyi - any apt-get clean or apt-get autoclean will be of no help at all in these circumstances, all they do is remove downloaded deb packages.

peterqb
October 21st, 2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. The encryption was set automatically, ie I had no idea it was using this when I installed.

The 'sudo apt-get autoremove -y && sudo reboot now' seemed to do the trick, and I have kept a note of that in case I need it again.

pqb