PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Total Freeze. Power Adjustment?

9ToOBHoZ
October 18th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Hello Ubuntu Forum,

I replaced Windows XP with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my desktop, which had Windows XP. When I am working on the computer, the screen suddenly goes dark or white with vertical grey lines. Sometimes this occurs in less than 2 minutes and sometimes, if the computer is just idle, it doesn't occur at all. It happens in a variety of different programs (e.g., Chromium as well as LibreOffice). For example, last week I was able to get and install all the software updates without a crash. However, upon restarting, I went to sign in on a website via Firefox and the crash happened about 1 minutes 20 seconds from start up. I am unable to use my keyboard to do anything. I end up having to do a hard shutdown by hold the power button until the power goes off.

Can anyone help me solve this issue? I think it might be power issue, but am not sure. Below are the specs of my computer.

Computer:

OS: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (installed all updates as of 10/18/14)

Memory: 2.3 GiB
Processor: AMD (Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+) [I think this is the Radeon Xpress 200 Series]

Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480

Disk: 154.9GB
OS Type: 64 Bit

Monitor: LG Flatron L1950B

Thanks in advance for any help, ideas or suggestions!

ozanji345
October 18th, 2014, 10:02 PM
I had a similar problem earlier. My computer would run good for like 30 minutes. Then, all of a sudden, my speakers would make a pop noise and the monitor would go black and my fans would go to maximun. I reinstalled Ubuntu after this happened like 20+ times. Now, it hasn't happened yet! So I'd try reinstalling Ubuntu if I were you.

P.S: Redownload Ubuntu as well...

mörgæs
October 19th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Have you tried running memtest from the boot menu?

Impavidus
October 19th, 2014, 10:28 AM
When things go wrong not right at the start but after a random period of time, it often suggests a hardware problem. Things go wrong as soon as the faulty piece of hardware is used, which is only after a random period of time. Therefore the suggestion to run the memory test. Keep it running for some hours. In this case it could also be a broken graphics card.

9ToOBHoZ
November 6th, 2014, 03:12 AM
Hello again. Thanks for your reply! To make a long story short, you are right. It turned out to be problem with my graphics driver. I purchased a "new" used one at my local nonprofit computer place. I eneded up installing Linux Mint Quiana 17 and it is working great. I am very impressed with the entire Linux community. I decided to go with Mint because it's what the nonprofit supports and it's easy for me to get help from them.

9ToOBHoZ
November 6th, 2014, 03:15 AM
Thanks. Turned out my that my graphics driver was the issue. See my post below for the solution.