PDA

View Full Version : Impatient Sam Ubuntu 14.10 out next week

sam-c
October 18th, 2014, 10:43 AM
ubuntu 14.10 final on 23rd NOT Today:popcorn::popcorn:
Silly Uncle Sam

mörgæs
October 18th, 2014, 10:48 AM
It might be out but please wait at least a couple of weeks before installing it.

Elfy
October 18th, 2014, 11:15 AM
It might be out but please wait at least a couple of weeks before installing it.

On the contrary - if more people installed it earlier then there might be more bugs found earlier so they don't make it as far as release.

Mike_Walsh
October 18th, 2014, 04:56 PM
On the contrary - if more people installed it earlier then there might be more bugs found earlier so they don't make it as far as release.

+1.

Good point, Elfy. =d>

Regards,

Mike.

user1397
October 18th, 2014, 06:23 PM
On the contrary - if more people installed it earlier then there might be more bugs found earlier so they don't make it as far as release.I would add to only do this if you don't need an extremely stable system and if you have all your stuff backed up, just in case, even though the difference between the release candidate and the final release is minute.

bashiergui
October 19th, 2014, 04:29 AM

On the contrary - if more people installed it earlier then there might be more bugs found earlier so they don't make it as far as release.Perhaps this is a fair amalgamation: If you have no prior experience with Ubuntu, please wait before installing it. If you have experience, then install it earlier and help find bugs before release.

Penguin360
October 20th, 2014, 04:49 PM
What's new in 14.10 that makes people excited about it?

Kale_Freemon
October 21st, 2014, 06:57 AM
What's new in 14.10 that makes people excited about it?

I can tell you that I haven't seen or heard of anything new in 14.10 that excites me. I'm quite content sticking to the LTS releases for this reason. Well, that and stability.

Erik1984
October 21st, 2014, 09:51 AM
Perhaps this is a fair amalgamation: If you have no prior experience with Ubuntu, please wait before installing it. If you have experience, then install it earlier and help find bugs before release.

That does sound fair. However it is also a matter of personality I think. I have never been an early adopter so always wait a couple of days / weeks when a news version arrives. Never installed it before the final release. 14.10 might be the first version I skip altogether as my 14.04 install is almost perfect for my needs now.

Penguin360
October 21st, 2014, 02:25 PM
That does sound fair. However it is also a matter of personality I think. I have never been an early adopter so always wait a couple of days / weeks when a news version arrives. Never installed it before the final release. 14.10 might be the first version I skip altogether as my 14.04 install is almost perfect for my needs now.

+1. I will stick with 14.04 for a while.

craig10x
October 21st, 2014, 04:27 PM
I needed the new 3.16 kernel ubuntu patched kernel (and didn't want to have to wait until February when 14.04 will finally get it)...3.13 kernel has been problematic for me as far as multimedia instability on my hardware...3.16 kernel is stable as a rock...14.10 is not radically different but it has some refinements and feels like an even smoother and slicker 14.04 essentially...

OrangeCrate
October 22nd, 2014, 05:11 AM

That.

Jumping into a new dev release is a good thing, in my opinion. The worse that can happen, is that you bork the box. If you do, just reinstall and move on. The best thing that can happen, is that you learn something new.

Edit:

As craig10x said, I agree, that 14.10 feels quicker, and more solid, than 14.04. It has also solved a rendering issue on my on play box T400, that has nagged me for the past several releases. But, though I like 14.10, my workhorse X220 will stay 14.04, which, in my opinion, is an almost perfect release.

Roasted
October 22nd, 2014, 02:29 PM
I'll be installing 14.10 on a spare machine to tinker with. I'm much busier these days than I was in my earlier Ubuntu days, so even small problems can cause a big fiasco with how much I need to use my computer for work, my side job, etc. I'll stick to LTS's from here on, but I'll undoubtedly always have a machine running a development build or the current 6 month release.

I owe it to the community and the project to at least fire it up, try to break it, and report what bugs I can find.

trivialpackets
October 23rd, 2014, 07:44 PM
I am normally an early adopter, but for this release I'm standing pat for a while at least.

Between the lack of a driving reason for the update software & hardware wise, I am also in the middle of some projects that live on my Ubuntu 14.04 installation and would rather just ride it out while I finish those projects, so maybe early next year, or I could end up skipping a cycle.

sports fan Matt
October 23rd, 2014, 09:22 PM
I think i'll skip Utopic all together. Even with the fact I run these all in Vmware's, I do not have the time for the maintenance that would be required. I'll update to 16.04.

Paulgirardin
October 23rd, 2014, 11:42 PM
This is our version of Apple fans queueing overnight outside the Apple store for a slightly different Iphone :rolleyes:

Irihapeti
October 23rd, 2014, 11:49 PM
This is our version of Apple fans queueing overnight outside the Apple store for a slightly different Iphone :rolleyes:

But a LOT more comfortable... :)

tjeremiah
October 24th, 2014, 07:51 PM

yup. 14.04 is solid, especially after I finally figured out how to get the wireless to work.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 24th, 2014, 09:53 PM
I needed the new 3.16 kernel ubuntu patched kernel (and didn't want to have to wait until February when 14.04 will finally get it)...3.13 kernel has been problematic for me as far as multimedia instability on my hardware...3.16 kernel is stable as a rock...14.10 is not radically different but it has some refinements and feels like an even smoother and slicker 14.04 essentially...the mainline 3.16 kernel does work on 14.04 without breaking nvidia and virtualbox

WinEunuchs2Unix
October 25th, 2014, 04:43 PM

I'd like to stick with the 5 year-support 14.04 for awhile AND try the 9 month-support 14.10 until 15.04 materializes.

Hopefully there will be KISS instructions for dual booting both platforms. I have tons of space for separate HDD partitions and don't mind devoting some time bug hunting. A shared /home folder would be ideal so two different versions of Libre Office (14.04 and 14.10) update the same spreadsheet on disk.

What is the rationale of the version numbering system 8.04/8.10, 9.04/9.10, ... {10,11,12,13} ... 14.04/14.10?. There might be interesting history there and a chance to debate if ubuntu should keep the numbering system.

sam-c
October 28th, 2014, 12:10 PM
solved ok