PDA

View Full Version : Python 3.x and PyQt install commands

rich1939
October 16th, 2014, 05:45 PM
I've been away from Ubuntu for a few years and need some help in issuing the appropriate apt-get commands to install Python 3.x and PyQt, with its GUI development program. I saw a concise post concerning this a few weeks ago, but didn't write the commands down. Now I just installed Ubuntu 14.04 and need a list of the appropriate commands to install these programs.

I'd also like a suggestion on what IDE to use for PyQt development. I had previously used CODEBLOCKS for C++ and GTK a development, but am open to a more appropriate IDE for PyQt development.

I'm an old-timer, with many years of programming experience, but am a neophyte in getting setup for PyQt development on Ubuntu. Any help, suggestions, lists of commands to get me started,will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Rich Parker

ian-weisser
October 18th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Python 3.4 is already installed with 14.04.

rich1939
October 18th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Python 3.4 is already installed with 14.04.

Thanks for the confirmation about Python 3.4. I also need to install PyQt and the GII development app, and any documentation on using PyQt on Ubuntu.

oldfred
October 18th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I normally install using synaptic.
But I now see pyqt4 & there is pyqt5.
Have not tried converting anything to qt5 yet and do not see much in Ubuntu, yet.

I have just used geany and when I reinstall Ubuntu install a few basic pyqt. But then when I run my little test programs they some up with something I forgot and I go back in install those.
Then I find I forgot qt4-designer and my python-qt4-sql.

http://zetcode.com/gui/pyqt4/
http://lionel.textmalaysia.com/a-simple-tutorial-on-gui-programming-using-qt-designer-with-pyqt4.html

Erik1984
October 19th, 2014, 08:42 PM
The package you need for Qt5 development on Ubuntu with Python is

python3-qt5
This will install the necessary python modules for Qt5 development.

There is also a package that contains pyuic5. This is a CLI tool to convert the interfaces (.ui files) designed in the GUI application (QT Designer) to .py files.

pyqt5-dev-tools

rich1939
October 20th, 2014, 03:26 AM
Thank you, Eric. That's exactly what I needed. I knew it would be simple...I have just been away far too long.

-Rich