PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] .bash file hangs OS

Gregory_Anderson
October 15th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Hello,

I am trying to install Antidote on Ubuntu 14.04. It is supposed to install from a .bash file called Installe_Antidote.bash. When I run it it is impressively slow and freezes gedit repeatedly. Ultimately it freezes the entire OS and I have to pull the power on the computer and restart to get it back. This also happens when I try to install it on another computer also running Ubuntu 14.04. Is there some other way to run this .bash so it will actually install?

Thanks,
Greg

yancek
October 15th, 2014, 11:44 PM
Can you post a link to the site from which you downloaded it. I don't see it in the Software Center. Bash scripts usually have an ".sh" extenson if they have one, not "bash". Also, I'm not sure what the text editor gedit has to do with running a bash script. How do you run the script?

Gregory_Anderson
October 16th, 2014, 02:44 AM
The file comes from the dvd of the software. According to the read-me I am just supposed to double click on the .bash file (which is supposed to be an executable file) and then follow the instructions to install it. Well, that never happens. I just ran it again (with a USB key running as extra SWAP) and it took 3 or 4 hours to load a 250mb file, took up 4gb of RAM and 7gb of SWAP space. And then it didn't do anything. This all happens in gedit.

Gregory_Anderson
October 16th, 2014, 03:19 AM
Antidote is a French language grammar checker. http://www.antidote.info/

Gregory_Anderson
October 16th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Got it to work. I guess it was trying to open the file (which was not-human readable) in a text editor instead of running it as a program. I had to go into the properties of Installe_Antidote.bash and authorise it to run as a file. Then I went into preferences of Nautilus and under the behaviour tab set it so that Nautilus would open executable text files as programs.