PDA

View Full Version : Back running Ubuntu.

frank75
October 15th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Well, after a year and 7 months from starting my Linux journey with Ubuntu 12.04LTS I'm back running Ubuntu MATE'. I didn't really care for Unity so I moved to Mint 15 MATE' and really loved having the drop down menus. From there I went to Point Linux 2.2(which is now 2.3.1) that is Debian Stable based with the MATE' DE and then I started playing with Software Defined Radio(SDR) and needed Gqrx support so I moved over to Kali Linux which had it out of the box, no fuss, no muss. Of course a Kali install is close to 16GB and I wanted something that took up less hard drive space so I started looking at some of the Arch based Distros. Out of all of them Manjaro and Antergos seemed to work pretty well with the edge going to Manjaro. I ran that for a few months but with the last update my bluetooth became kind of buggy and there were other small issues so after hearing popey and wimpy talk about their pet project, Ubuntu MATE', I figured I'd give it a try and here I am.
It runs great, no issues so far even with it being beta2 and I'm back to the MATE' DE that I really love. Still need to figure out how I'm going to get Gqrx working on my new system since I'm not very good at compiling from source but I'm sure I'll figure out something. Anyway, I'll see ya'll on the forums. ):P

d-cosner
October 16th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Welcome back! I have done some moving around myself. Now I just keep Ubuntu 14.04 installed on my large hard drive and put what ever I want to try out on a spare drive.

kc1di
October 16th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Welcome back frank75,
have you seen this page (http://gqrx.dk/download) they have a ubuntu ready download of GQRX seems to work here.

mips
October 16th, 2014, 08:05 AM
This is not gonna last long :biggrin:

prisoner8492
October 18th, 2014, 02:53 AM
I'm back to running Ubuntu (technically, Xubuntu) as well.

Have always been a fan of Debian-based distros. Tried OpenSuse awhile back and was turned off by the chaotic package management system, wasn't impressed with the unstability of Debian Testing, and didn't feel like dealing with the work involved with Debian Stable.

Xfce seems the least worst DE since Kde graduated 3.5 and Gnome 2.x. Haven't tried MATE or other Gnome2 spinoffs.

I like my GUI how I like my coffee: plain, boring, and grown-up. Give me a single shot espresso. High caffeine, no added sugars, artificial flavors, or excess water.

user1397
October 18th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Welcome back. I tried ubuntu mate recently but for some reason it was a lot slower than other DEs (probably something hardware related). I'm running unity now and I can finally say it works for me. I love how keyboard friendly it is and it seems to have all I need. Anyway good luck and happy ubuntu-ing!

frank75
October 18th, 2014, 09:55 PM
This is not gonna last long :biggrin:

Oh no, looks like someone from the Manjaro forums has followed me over here,LOL.
Nope, this time I think I'm going to stick with Ubuntu now that it's rockin' the MATE' DE and not that Unity crap. Martin and Alan have done a great job getting this version together, even the wallpaper looks nice. After moving from Ubuntu 12.04LTS to Mint 15 MATE then to Point Linux 2.2 MATE" over to Kali Linux then to Manjaro Xfce and now full circle back to Ubuntu with the MATE' DE I can say that I've learned a lot from moving around like that.

DuckHook
October 19th, 2014, 02:06 AM
I suspect you are going to keep trying new things too, but that's a good thing. Nothing wrong with it, and everything right with it. Every time you do, you will be reminding yourself how much more liberating Linux is to the jailware that most people use.

Happy Ubuntuing! (Or Manjaroing, or Kaliing, or whatever...)

linuxyogi
October 19th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I am dual booting Ubuntu MATE and Manjaro MATE.

Ubuntu Mate is still in development stage and some essential utility packages are missing

for example caja-dropbox which adds the right click dropbox context menu.

I really don't understand why the Mate team decided to build their first spin on a non LTS release.

Kale_Freemon
October 20th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Welcome back! I think I agree that you may try something new a little ways down the road. I've tried several different distros over the past six or seven years. Nothing wrong with it. Of course, I wound up deciding that I quite like Unity in 14.04. Much more usable to me now. Also, I am quite tired of distro hopping. I'm finally ready to settle down with a stable OS alongside my Windows. 14.04, being an LTS, is that stable OS.

Again, welcome back! And please, do have fun while looking for the OS that is truly you.

speedwell68
October 22nd, 2014, 08:32 PM
I like my GUI how I like my coffee: plain, boring, and grown-up. Give me a single shot espresso. High caffeine, no added sugars, artificial flavors, or excess water.

Have you tried Lubuntu?

Jack_Ditchburn
October 28th, 2014, 08:22 AM
I'm back running ubuntu 14.04.1, after starting with The Dapper Drake some time ago! Been around the world distro since then. Now I have ubuntu 14.04 on my main laptop (Asus n5550lf) and keep an older laptop for playing with other distros. LFS here I come.

jackD