PDA

View Full Version : Telephone scam

pfeiffep
October 14th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Yesterday we received a very threatening and intimidating phone message from 1-619-467-1949. The caller identified himself as Steve Martin and went on to say the US Treasury has court actions ....

When I searched I found this site with many similar instances ... http://www.whocalled.info/phone/1-619-467-1949

I have reported this to the FBI

QIII
October 14th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Love those calls. I try to engage them and give them as much false information as possible. Waste as much of their time as I can. Same with sales and political calls.

Then just abruptly say "Thanks for your time!" and hang up.

deadflowr
October 14th, 2014, 06:46 PM
You should have ask him if he was a wild and crazy guy.

QIII
October 14th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Or a ramblin' guy.

"R A M B L I N ... apostrophe ..."

Dragonbite
October 15th, 2014, 03:13 AM
We got one of those from the IRS. I was glad to have read that they were going around, in the newspaper prior to getting that phone call.

The article also mentioned that they use an acomplise who calls supposedly from the police department and that they are coming over in 1 hour to arrest us for supposedly the same reason the "IRS" called. We asked him for his badge number and laughed when he refused and told him we know the police chief. The guy got so mad and hung up.

The guy got so mad at us he hung up.

One thing that made it obvious was that his accent was so thick we could barely understand him. And I live in a small town, where we know 1/2 of the police force from various activities with the kids (scouts, school, etc.).

Habitual
October 15th, 2014, 04:27 PM
619-467
San Diego County
La Mesa or Spring Valley area.

frank75
October 15th, 2014, 09:37 PM
I would have lead him on and acted scared and ask him what I should do? Try and make him hang himself even more with the stuff he was saying. Sometimes it kind of fun to lead these jerks along a bit so they think they've got a sucker then simply tell them, "Well, we've talked enough, good bye", LOL

prisoner8492
October 18th, 2014, 03:06 AM
Speaking from personal experience, the police aren't going to call first if they're coming to arrest you

buzzingrobot
October 18th, 2014, 01:28 PM
The beauty of Caller ID is ignoring calls from unrecoginized numbers and then deleting voicemail.

Answering, even if you immediately hang up, verifies that they've found a live person at a working number and bumps up your odds of being repeatedly called.

Mike_Walsh
October 18th, 2014, 04:50 PM
The beauty of Caller ID is ignoring calls from unrecoginized numbers and then deleting voicemail.

Answering, even if you immediately hang up, verifies that they've found a live person at a working number and bumps up your odds of being repeatedly called.

I can tell you guys that the problem of nuisance calls is not exclusive to the States. Over here, in the UK, it's got to the stage of reaching epidemic proportions.

I don't know if any of you have heard of the British reality programme 'Dragon's Den'? It's basically a bunch of business entrepeneurs, who listen to 'pitches' from people who are either existing business owners, or about to start out, and want to see if they can interest the Dragons with good business ideas, and attract some backing from them.

One of the Dragons is a guy called Peter Jones. He's a giant in the telecommunications industry, and his company, Phones International Group, was at one time advising the largest British telecommunications group, British Telecom, about customer relations practices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Jones_(entrepreneur)

Anyway, the nuisance calls have become a regular industry in themselves over here, and have for some time been driving members of MY family to distraction. Peter Jones developed a gadget called the 'Call Blocker', which allows you to block nuisance calls as they come in, as well as having a large number of known nuisance callers pre-programmed into it.

My mother's invested in one of these; she has severe arthritis, and just can't keep running about after the phone every five seconds. She has a cordless phone, but keeps forgetting where she's put it..! :p

My point, however, is this; if the nuisance calls had not escalated into the wholesale industry they've now become, the market for these 'call blockers' would never have come into existence...

Regards,

Mike.

BTW: My favourites have to be the scam calls purporting to originate from Microsoft, wanting you to turn your computer on, so that they can 'fix it' for you. I just tell them "We don't use Windows in this house; we use Linux. Good day to you."

That shuts 'em up! :D

buzzingrobot
October 18th, 2014, 07:53 PM
I can tell you guys that the problem of nuisance calls is not exclusive to the States. Over here, in the UK, it's got to the stage of reaching epidemic proportions... if the nuisance calls had not escalated into the wholesale industry they've now become, the market for these 'call blockers' would never have come into existence...

In many states here, perhaps most, these businesses are required to maintain a "No Call" list. If someone gets a call, and asks to be placed on a No-Call list, the business is legally required to do that and never call again. It isn't foolproof, but it does work, especially if the state attorney general visibly prosecutes offenders.

Mike_Walsh
October 18th, 2014, 10:52 PM
In many states here, perhaps most, these businesses are required to maintain a "No Call" list. If someone gets a call, and asks to be placed on a No-Call list, the business is legally required to do that and never call again. It isn't foolproof, but it does work, especially if the state attorney general visibly prosecutes offenders.

We have something along the same lines here in the UK, but many businesses only pay lip-service to it. The big companies which have a lot to lose by alienating their customer base tend to stick to the letter of the law, but the problem really comes from the international call centres; so many of our home-grown firms have farmed that side of things out to the far East and India, where, to be bluntly honest, wages are a lot lower than what people here see as a minimum 'living wage'...

And the British legal system is so slow that many cases rarely, if ever, actually make it to court; unless it's a very public case of the type that generates universal, moral outrage...then they will fall over themselves to push it through the system as quickly as possible.

But I still maintain that the whole thing is steadily increasing to the point of verging on the ridiculous.

Regards,

Mike.

buzzingrobot
October 18th, 2014, 11:01 PM
...the problem really comes from the international call centres

I can see that successfully prosecuting international call centers is difficult.

Perhaps we need a way to whitelist the calls our phones will accept.

Mike_Walsh
October 19th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I can see that successfully prosecuting international call centers is difficult.

Perhaps we need a way to whitelist the calls our phones will accept.

Unh-huh. I agree. Probably something along the lines of the one my mother now uses. The company that market them,

http://www.cprcallblocker.com

market one model intended for 'vulnerable adults' (people with learning difficulties & the like). This model you program with a list of accepted, 'trusted' numbers; anything not on that list simply won't get through.....period.

The only snag with THAT, of course, is what happens if you get an emergency call from a family member or relative, using a phone that isn't on the list? You & I could re-program the device.....but someone with learning difficulties?

Every system is ALWAYS going to have its weak points. #-o

Regards,

Mike.

buzzingrobot
October 19th, 2014, 01:04 PM
A workable system would likely need to be built into the cell infrastructure, with callers using a unique PIN or key when they need to make an emergency call from a non-whitelisted phone.

I used to have a phone with ATT here. If I received a spam call, I used a special number that sent them the number of the last call received. If they verified it was spam, they'd block it. Otherwise, getting phone companies to block a number isn't easy, probably due to their fear of being sued for preventing legitimate calls.

I just don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize, then check and delete voice mail.

Dragonbite
October 20th, 2014, 01:17 PM
BTW: My favourites have to be the scam calls purporting to originate from Microsoft, wanting you to turn your computer on, so that they can 'fix it' for you. I just tell them "We don't use Windows in this house; we use Linux. Good day to you."

That shuts 'em up! :D

The Microsoft person I got argued with me that I don't have ANY Microsoft products in the house?!! I said yeah, I have a mouse and a webcam.

They still called back a couple of days later. I told my wife to tell them "we only run Linux here" but I don't know if she did nor not.

Should start saying I don't speak English, in Spanish or something and see if they know the language. Won't do them any good because I don't know Spanish any more than saying "I don't know English" ;)

buzzingrobot
October 20th, 2014, 01:57 PM
The Microsoft person I got...

You're aware it isn't a "Microsoft person", right?

speedwell68
October 22nd, 2014, 08:03 AM
I so want a Microsoft call it is untrue I have XP in a VM just for them.:D