PDA

View Full Version : Decline of Internet Explorer?

Murong_Yao
October 14th, 2014, 03:17 AM
With the ongoing forays by Firefox, Chrome, and Opera (to a much lesser degree, though; Opera isn't exactly in the desktop browser game), Internet Explorer isn't as glorious as it used to be.
The heyday of Internet Explorer was during the near death of Netscape Navigator; then Firefox succeeded Netscape and became a major competitor of Internet Explorer.
Chrome came in the play as well.
Opera has never been a major player; it has quite a presence on smart phones, though.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 14th, 2014, 03:30 AM
"Internet Explorer isn't as glorious as it used to be" when was IE glorious? back in my day we used it cause we were forced to, not cause we wanted to
by my day i mean back when if you wanted your web page to comply with the standards and actually work you were going to have a bad time
glad those days are gone and IE now actually follows the standards instead of making up there own unique unofficial standards

naradezza
October 14th, 2014, 11:15 AM
try another application,IE is very heavy application

buzzingrobot
October 14th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Given expectations that every device and every app are always connected, the days of a "browser" as a distinct piece of software we use when we need to interact with the web are probably numbered.

Michael_McKenney
October 14th, 2014, 02:18 PM
IE 11 is too integrated with security to protect you from yourself. I can't wait to see Windows 10. Do they take away your right to be an administrator on your own computer?

Jonor
October 14th, 2014, 02:32 PM
There is this monthly browser and other metrics popularity chart (http://www.w3counter.com/trends).
I.E. still leads the B team, but even that is no longer certain.
Hope we always have a healthy choice in the future, unlike the past.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 14th, 2014, 02:45 PM
*cringe* over 8% still use Win XP and IE

leclerc65
October 14th, 2014, 05:51 PM
I use it to install Chrome the first time, then use Chrome to install Firefox.

mastablasta
October 15th, 2014, 01:37 PM
*cringe* over 8% still use Win XP and IE

yes we do :-P

I use Firefox on windows XP and the problem is that some sites require IE (actually they are supposed to work on Firefox but they don't). So I occasionally have to use IE. for one or two sites only. I plan to move that part to Win7 when I find the time.

XP has latest antivirus and other security measures. while I know I am at risk, I do not believe it is that much higher as before. Also WinXP still get's certain patches.

I am in the process of moving to Kubuntu. Have half of disk set on the side. but so far the GPU drivers are nowhere near those on XP and I know that some games I play won't work on Linux. wish I could just move to a 64bit Linux rather than using Win XP 32 bit with PAE.

PondPuppy
October 15th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Ah, I remember when Internet Explorer was universally lambasted as the least secure, most vulnerable of the major browsers. I believe it's gotten much better in the past few years. I got out of the habit of using it back when it was regularly first to fall at Pwn2Own, though, and haven't bothered with it since... except for an isolated (no internet access) subsystem at work, where it's used to view a private wiki.

Michael_McKenney
October 15th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I would still use XP Pro x64 for my Symantec Backup Exec backup software. Symantec ran great in it. I only had the computer on for my tape backups. Bacula has issues with two of three tape drives. I run a data center and use WSUS to update my workstations and servers. Every day I get a report on failed updates. I have 36 Windows 7 workstations and Windows Servers with failed updates. Twice a month on average the windows patch breaks a workstation.

jeehyun
October 16th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Death of IE means death of ActiveX. It means no more windows forever!