PDA

View Full Version : Replace an optical disk drive with a HDD and a MSATA ssd together?

blackbird34
October 13th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Hi all,

I've heard from many places that it is straightforward to replace an optical DVD drive with a standard hard drive and caddy case. However is it possible to fit a HDD AND a mSATA SSD (one of those tiny ones) into the optical drive bay? if so, how?

Plus my laptop's DVD drive is connected to the DVD drive by a SATA 1.5 GHz (Sata first gen) port. Is that fast enough for SSD speeds?

My laptop is a Lenovo Z50-70 (a 2014 Lenovo model with an i5 and GeForce graphics card).
http://www.amazon.fr/Lenovo-Z50-70-portable-disque-Windows/dp/B00LA4CDT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410267975&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+z50-70

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 14th, 2014, 01:19 AM
sata is backwards compatible, the port will bottleneck a ssd but it will work at the limit of your sata controllers speed
1 sata port is only good for 1 sata port
toggling between 2 drives is possible via hot-swap (a dpst switch, should work)
using 2 at the same time on 1 port however is not unless someone has made a device/controller to regulate both storage devices, now getting 3 devices into the space of a hdd caddy would be very tricky

that said hot does a laptop made in 2014 not have sata 3? we have had sata 2 for like 5 years now

mips
October 14th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Why?

You are better off installing a ssd in you existing hdd bay and moving the hdd to the optical bay via a caddy.

blackbird34
October 14th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Yes, it does have SATA 3 for the normal hard drive.
I was just curious if it would work, but you're right, mips, it's all pointlessly complicated. I was just curious (i would have to buy the ssd but i already have a spare hard drive so doing this wouldn't have cost more if it were possible).
Thanks all :)

naradezza
October 14th, 2014, 11:04 AM
sata 3 is more usually use in HDD

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 14th, 2014, 02:47 PM
wait i see what is going on you are see the ODDs sata speed not the ports sata speed
i prefer to but the ssd in hte ODD bay, the hdd bay should be designed for better cooling and a hdd makes more heat

Asus thought the sata port on my ODD bay was a sata II but it is a sata III port

Michael_McKenney
October 14th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Why not get a larger chassis with more room. It is easier to work in and gives your drives more space to cool.

mips
October 14th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Why not get a larger chassis with more room. It is easier to work in and gives your drives more space to cool.

You can't buy a bigger 'chassis' for a laptop.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 14th, 2014, 03:59 PM
well i suppose you could if you made one, it would be a lot of work and reduce the portability of the system

oldfred
October 14th, 2014, 04:22 PM
This one looks like it has a little more room only 24 pounds?
Just do not announce that you have a newer model a year before it is available or you may be remembered forever in business school for the "Osborne Effect".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_1

sammiev
October 14th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Just do not announce that you have a newer model a year before it is available or you may be remembered forever in business school for the "Osborne Effect".

Oh my!!! LOL

mips
October 14th, 2014, 05:17 PM

I remember those "potables" from back in the day, you needed gorilla arms to carry those around.

WinEunuchs2Unix
October 17th, 2014, 04:46 AM
My first portable IBM PC was 30 pounds. It had a 9 inch yellowish-orange screen and a floppy drive plus a 10 MB Winchester Hard Drive. It really sucked when you forgot to park the heads on the hard drive.

The mechanical keyboard was nice but I hated the lag in Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0 flying the Cesna 142 or whatever plane that was.

When you build your chassis why not through in one of those bed pads that offer hot and cold settings to keep the HDD, MOBO, GPU and CPU heat down to 50c or so. Might need more than one DPST switch for better zone control.

LOL@ you guys.