PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Please fix the installation procedure

amp-21004
October 12th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I had a dual boot Lubuntu + Windows 8.1 laptop. When I installed Xubuntu over Lubuntu I selected the option that says something like "remove Ubuntu 14.0.4 and reinstall".
After the installation, my Windows 8.1 has dissapeared and the Xubuntu partition occupied the whole disk.

If this kind of installation options are confusing of insecure you must remove them or fix them!!!

Best regards

coffeecat
October 12th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Why are you asking ordinary Ubuntu users to "fix" the installer? This is a forum of volunteer members. The vast majority, staff included, have nothing to do with Canonical. Do you need help?

Vladlenin5000
October 12th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Well, coffeecat, you're absolutely right, but the user is also right in complaining about something we all know it's a longstanding 'bug' or, at best, a poorly written warning message.
Truth to be told, Windows does even worse in a similar situation but that's no excuse for NOT doing things right.

Obs.: This never affected me because I usually don't do dual-boot.

sammiev
October 12th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I prefer to setup my HDD a head of time to where I want the install to go. Read there has been more than a few having issues with the installer as the OP described.

Vladlenin5000
October 12th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I prefer to setup my HDD a head of time to where I want the install to go.
Same here.

Read there has been more than a few having issues with the installer as the OP described.
IMHO, too much already. This has the potential to become a PR nightmare. New users and people at large don't care about the details. All they will retain is "Ubuntu deleted my Windows".

nerdtron
October 12th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I don't think this "bug" (as you consider it) will be fixed anytime soon. Just imagine how complicated the different install of Dual Boot users and then just selecting "Remove Ubuntu and Reinstall".

As for me, the first time I encountered that option (when I reinstall my dual boot system) I became skeptical. Since I have important data on a partition I want to keep intact. "Something Else" or manual partitioning is always the way for from now on.

Lastly,

If this kind of installation options are confusing of insecure you must remove them or fix them!!!
The installer is not broken, And besides, Windows warn you that you could lose data when you install it right? Same as Ubuntu. Any OS you install will alter the hard drive partitions and could potentially lose your data. Always secure (backup) your data before you mess with your hard drive or partitions. No OS can help a user not knowing what he does.

(I'm sorry if I sounded harsh here :()

oldfred
October 12th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Partial fixes at least are in the process of being fixed, but older versions will not be updated. Not sure if in 14.10 or not or will be in next point release?

Reinstall says overwrite Ubuntu but it also erases existing Windows. "only" 111 users posted that they had the issue. Probably many more.
Sept 2014 Fix being released for one drive installs, but mulitple drive installs must use Something Else.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1265192

QIII
October 12th, 2014, 07:57 PM
The difficulty here is less than that there is a "bug" than that there is an admittedly vague, possibly misleading, warning. The installer works as designed, so it's not a bug by definition. Poor design might be a better word. Neither is it just something that can be waved off casually. This has been addressed with the developers.

We users can't do much more, nor can we fix the issue here.