PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Daily updates of Handbrake

Arsemyth
October 11th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Hi,

could anyone tell me why I am getting almost daily updates of Handbrake?

I don't actually use it, so could uninstall

Rog

hectorsales
October 11th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Hi, have you installed this ppa ?

https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive/ubuntu/handbrake-snapshots

You can look into:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d

Best regards.

Vladlenin5000
October 11th, 2014, 05:20 PM
could anyone tell me why I am getting almost daily updates of Handbrake?

Certainly. The short answer: Handbrake - unstable/testing branch - is being updated almost in a daily basis.
Long answer: You installed Handbrake via the PPA mentioned in post #2 therefore, from that moment on, you'll receive each and every "beta" version that PPA releases. Nothing wrong with your system, it's working as designed. The stable branch, a different Handbrake PPA, should provided the major releases only. However, the PPA you already have is often needed in order to install a newer Handbrake version which should have better compatibility with newer Ubuntu versions.

Of course, if you don't need it, you can uninstall it (and remove that PPA).

Arsemyth
October 12th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Thank you both for your swift response! I guess I must has installed that PPA, but have no recollection of doing so...

It's not causing me any grief so I will let things be.

Roger

Vladlenin5000
October 12th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Ok.

Should you desire to uninstall it later and remove that PPA, please don't hesitate and ask again if your unsure about the procedure.

Handbrake is a very nice piece of software, both for regular users and professionals. The disk space it uses is insignificant so the only drawback of having it from that PPA is, as you already noticed, the constant updates. Bleeding-edge software oblige.