PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot boot into ubuntu 14.04 after removing gnome desktop

hamshan33
October 11th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I cannot boot into ubuntu. I have 14.04. The problem started after removing gnome desktop.
I was using kubuntu or unity as desktops and it boots using kubuntu.
I have tried to install it back, and do package update with a live CD but it never worked.

It usually hangs at "Samba auto-reload Integration", or If I wait long enough at "Read required files in advance",
or sometimes it shows this unreadable message: "anac(h)ronistic cron"???

I have also tried the method descried here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCdRecovery but it did not work.

Thanks for any help.

kc1di
October 11th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Hi hamshan33 and Welcome to Ubuntu,

Lets try this at the grub menu select advanced then then select ubuntu recovery mode

a dialogue box will come up select network (Let it do it's thing it will take a minute or twe) then select root
This will take you to a root prompt.
type the following command:

apt-get install unity

when it's done type
shutdown -r now
it will reboot see if it boots now.

ajgreeny
October 11th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Try booting into a command line by hitting E when you see the grub menu. Look for the line containing "quiet splash" and edit that to "text" then Ctrl+X or F10 to boot. If you get to a command line login with username and password (your password will not show on screen but will be entered so just type carefully and hit Enter) then use command
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopto see if that gets back everything you need to boot again properly.

hamshan33
October 14th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Thanks to both of you.

I have tried both methods but none worked. It still hangs with the same message. Any other ways to solve this?

luctor
October 14th, 2014, 08:14 AM
can you boot in recovery mode ?

hamshan33
October 15th, 2014, 09:17 AM
can you boot in recovery mode ?
I can boot only into a terminal. Recovery mode, otherwise, gives a similar message.

hamshan33
October 16th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Anyone else with other suggestions, please?
I really don't want to re-install and wipe everything!