PDA

View Full Version : 14.04.1 LTS Installation Type Problem

dennis35
October 10th, 2014, 01:29 PM
I have an old machine running XP that has gotten very slow so I was thinking of trying Ubuntu. The installation DVD is running as we speak. When I get to the Installation Type window, there is no option to instal Ubuntu along side of XP. I am not quite ready to replace XP and when I check Something Else and proceed to the next window I don't know how to handle partitiioning of the hard drive to allow the installation of Ubuntu to be along side XP. My hard drive is presently partitioned into one large partition. Is that the problem?

The newbe thanks you!

yancek
October 10th, 2014, 02:28 PM
My hard drive is presently partitioned into one large partition. Is that the problem?

Yes. No guarantee that will be the only problem. If you have some method to resize/shrink the partition within xp, do that. Otherwise you can use GParted which is on the installation medium. Open a terminal and type: sudo gparted to open it and then shrink the partition to create unallocated space. Take a look at the tutorial on installing Ubuntu 14.04 below. It is very detailed and has a lot of additional information as well as a link to another very detailed tutorial on using GParted.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-14-04-install-guide.html