PDA

View Full Version : Better to sell gaming desktop with Ubuntu or no OS?

waloshin
October 9th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I am selling my gaming pc but dont own a windows copy would it be better to install Ubuntu or leave it with no operating system?

ThatBum
October 9th, 2014, 11:22 AM
I'd leave the disk blank, personally. Don't want to force anything on the user. On the other hand, if you're selling it to someone knowledgeable they can put their OS of choice on it themselves and format the disk.

Jonor
October 9th, 2014, 02:02 PM
You could also consider offering it either blank or any requested mainstream distro (that is straightforward to install) at the buyer's request.

Michael_McKenney
October 9th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Blank but list the hardware to make sure it will run Windows 7 or 8. List the hardware in it.

waloshin
October 9th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the replies.

fkkroundabout
October 10th, 2014, 05:31 PM
send it with a DVD with ubuntu burnt to it

frank75
October 15th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I'd do a clean install of something on it so the buyer can at least see it boot up and work. You can give it a generic name like "homeuser" and use 1234567 as the password but I personally wouldn't buy a system without an operating system of some kind on it so I can see things working. I've bought a few laptops over the last couple years and installed Linux on em' and people that's bought them have been pretty happy once they've use them for a while. It's surprising how quickly a Windows user will take to Linux once they see how easy it is to use and that they're not as prone to all that malware and viruses.

WinEunuchs2Unix
October 17th, 2014, 04:29 AM
When I bought this used Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 SE (Special Edition) I first googled the model and read horror stories. In the process I learned enough to fix most of the common software problems (which 6 weeks later I have done). However there were still hardware problems (sub-woofer, usb, Wi-Fi, etc) that I needed to check out an a functional operating system (he had Windows 7 fresh install) was necessary to test the machine.

We met at the public library (not too many private ones around these days is there) and I brought along my USB dongle + mouse for testing. We chatted for 30 minutes and I gave him the $450 CAD. Had he not have had a function operating system I would have never bought it.

My vote would be to install Ubuntu to make the sale.