PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu wont boot after fresh install

Shawn_Hawkins
October 7th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I was running ubuntu 14.04 and wanted to try some different flavors so I tried xubuntu and kubuntu. I liked the interface and just about everything else about kubuntu so I clicked on install. I chose to let it wipe the system and it installed without error.
I rebooted as per the instructions and when it rebooted I got an error. There is a lot of text and I'm on my phone.
I took a photo of my screen, how can I upload it?
The error is from busybox, the cursor is flashing at (initramfs) —
"could not configure common clock
Boot arms (cat/proc/cmdline)
Check root delay
Check root
Missing modules (cat/proc/modules ; is /dev

/Dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx does not exist
Dropping to a shell

(initramfs)-

Is there a way to fix this?

Vladlenin5000
October 7th, 2014, 07:46 PM
The error message has a weird thing (I'll save comments for later), indeed.
First of all, where exactly - what PC - have you installed it. Please post the specs and inform which one have you installed, 32-bit or 64-bit?

Shawn_Hawkins
October 7th, 2014, 08:00 PM
It's a 64 bit pc. Toshiba satellite
The version is 14.04

2 x amd athlon II P320 Dual-Core Processor
2.7 GiB of Ram

The software is:
KDELibs Version: 4.13.2
QT Version: 4.8.6
Kernel Version: 3.13.0-32-generic
OS Type: 64-bit

Vladlenin5000
October 7th, 2014, 08:42 PM
There are many "Toshiba Satellite" models/configs out there ;) but I suspect yours is new enough to have UEFI instead of the old BIOS. If so, dual-booting or not, there are many more to consider then before: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Shawn_Hawkins
October 7th, 2014, 10:19 PM
I have no idea what efi or whatever is.

This is a fresh install, no dual boot, and a bios.

So instead of sending me somewhere else, how about helping me with the problem based of the errors I got.

yancek
October 7th, 2014, 10:56 PM
/Dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx does not exist
Dropping to a shell

You installed Kubuntu over Ubuntu so Kubuntu is your only operating system, is that correct?
Do you get this on boot? The message above indicates it is looking or a disk/partition which doesn't exist, it may have changed. Did you install the Grub bootloader with Kubuntu to the mbr, that would be the default. It would install to the mbr of the first drive, do you have only one drive?

Use one of the Live CDs, Kubuntu or other and go to the site below and download and run the bootinfoscript and post the output, a results.txt file, here. Instructions are in a link in the Description box.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Vladlenin5000
October 7th, 2014, 11:01 PM
So instead of sending me somewhere else, how about helping me with the problem based of the errors I got.

I would and I was about to but I don't feel like it anymore... Apparently you're under the impression that somehow I'm under that obligation and in order to prove you wrong this is a good-bye... And good luck.

Shawn_Hawkins
October 7th, 2014, 11:13 PM
My brother used to pull that guilt thing on me. I you couldn't help you should have just said so.

I installed the latest stable version through unet bootin.

ibjsb4
October 8th, 2014, 12:16 AM
A poor attitude will get you nowhere in this forum.

QIII
October 8th, 2014, 01:23 AM
I have no idea what efi or whatever is.

This is a fresh install, no dual boot, and a bios.

Providing a link with what may explain/help you with your problem is not "sending you somewhere else". There is no point in anyone here recreating the wheel.

Simply saying it was not a dual boot and not UEFI would have sufficed. By way of advice: don't make demands on volunteers about the form or manner of their volunteered help.

If you have a problem with someone else's response, please use the "Report Post" button and the Staff will deal with it appropriately.

Shawn_Hawkins
October 8th, 2014, 11:11 PM
The link provided did not work. I am on a bios, not the other thing.
I tried using the boot-repair utility on the default recomended setting and that didn't work. Then I tried the advanced options and had it rewrite the grub and it didn't do it either.
I'm sorry If I was rude but Im getting more and more frustrated by the minute.
Does anyone have any suggestions?