PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dash turned invisible.

lakersforce
October 6th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Using the keyboard it still functions, but nothing is rendered to the screen. Everything else about Unity is still working normally. It just suddenly behaved this way, I was not messing around with any settings or anything. Reboot does not fix it. Using the unity tweak tool to reset does not fix it. Removing all compiz configs does not fix it.

lakersforce
October 6th, 2014, 03:47 PM
And it inexplicable started to display again just a moment ago. I have not worked on the problem since I wrote the last post.

lakersforce
October 6th, 2014, 04:07 PM
And it turned invisible again.

Vladlenin5000
October 7th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Probably a graphics drivers issue... Start by posting it, ie, your graphics card/chip and, if nvidia or AT/AMD, also which drivers are you using.

CantankRus
October 7th, 2014, 09:10 PM
In unity tweak tool try changing the dash blur to static.
You'll find it in the unity > search section.

Vladlenin5000
October 7th, 2014, 09:23 PM
In unity tweak tool try changing the dash blur to static.
You'll find it in the unity > search section.

Yes, please also try this ^^^^

lakersforce
October 8th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Changing the Dash blur to static (or turning it off) does not help.

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 260/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 331.38
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

CantankRus
October 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Is it happenning in all scopes?
Try deleting the zeitgeist folder in ~/.local/share/ and logging out/in.

lakersforce
October 8th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Yes. The Dash is completely invisible, no matter what scope I use.
Deleting the Zeitgeist folder did not make it visible.

CantankRus
October 9th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Test in guest or new account to see if it's a config issue.

lakersforce
October 9th, 2014, 01:15 PM
It seems like it might be a problem in the Nvidia driver. I tried to revert the graphics driver back to Nouveau and the Dash is visible again.
I might add that the Dash still was visible after I installed the proprietary Nvidia driver. It worked for about a week with it, before the Dash turned invisble.

lakersforce
October 14th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I pinpointed what caused the problem. I have a dual monitor setup. By default (due to my cable setup) Ubuntu makes my left (blue) monitor the right and vice-versa. Under Display I switched the monitors around (green and blue), and I wanted to keep my Sidebar on the left side of my left monitor, so I chose Display - General Options - Launcher placement - blue monitor, (my left, default right). Later I discarded my dual view and chose to mirror the displays. The monitor that you mirror is the default left, i.e. the green, but due to having switched the monitors and wanting to direct the placement of the launcher (which I wrongly figured meant sidebar, not Dash) to the blue monitor (only), it stays with the blue, although you do not have the option to specify it after checking 'Mirror displays'.

What I can not explain is why the Dash reappeared and disappered again within an hour, because I was not messing around with the Display options. Or why the Dash worked when I switched to the Nouveau driver (perhaps it retains display settings from last that driver was used?)