PDA

View Full Version : Critical Failure - Where I've been...

slooksterpsv
October 5th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Hi everybody! Hi slooksterpsv.

Anyways jokes aside, none of you have probably noticed I haven't been on the forums lately. GO ME! =D Well, my hard drive ended up suffering from a partition alignment error when trying to resize my 750GB disk using parted. Not gparted, but parted. GParted warned me that something was amish (Family Guy joke) with my partitions and I, like an idiot, decided to ignore the warning instead of taking heed. Well it fubar'ed my partitions and at the last moment of being able to recover what I needed, decided to try and fix the issue. Well I was able to recover only about 50% of my pictures and videos. My programming projects like efibootorder, Toadeki, SkyShot-MP, and thousands of countless others, were lost. I did attempt to recover them, but without the extra hardware to recover to another hard drive (greater than or equal to the size of my partition(s)), it overwrote the areas where it skimmed to recover.

My lesson is this. I went to the store and kept saying, I need to get a backup drive in case I lose xyz, well I lost xyz and didn't get my backup drive.

I'm back now. I'm running Windows 10 TP, I have my Toshiba recovery disks and am only running Xubuntu 14.10 in a virtual until Utopic is released. Then I'll partition and go from there. elementaryOS Freya is taking a bit longer than I anticipated to get a full stable build so I'll use my Xubuntu from now on.

Now, if anyone did notice my non-existence, I'm surprised you noticed =P.

Linuxratty
October 5th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Holy cow! What a mess. Welcome back too.