PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 14.04.1 upgraded from 12.04.5 in 'fallback' has NO panels!

crazybear
October 5th, 2014, 01:08 PM
I upgraded from a working and much-worked upon (to my own perfection) Ubuntu 12.04 ==> 14.04. I installed gnome-fallback. It lists two new types of this [fallback] which were in 12.04 - or named differently. If I enter 14.04 with Gnome I get the single left top and bottom panel [on the leftmost of my three monitors] I can't seem to move the panels or create new ones. But this is not what I want, anyway. I want my usual desktop - as it was in Gnome-fallback. When I first re-installed grub [had to] for a few sessions I got my old [12.04] look - but now [due to upgrades or something other (I have NO idea what)] in both of the 'fallback' settings I get zero panels - only those items on my desktop - and can't even open a terminal with Ctr-Alt-T; so I can do nothing but shut down using computer shut-down button and try again [but it never works now] or use VERY UNHAPPILY Gnome. Anyone have any idea what I should do? Re-install gnome-fallback? or?! Thanks. Is there a new keyboard command to open Terminal in 14.04? Others having problems with panels in 14.04?

Also, maybe related, maybe not [and I've seen other posts on this], 14.04 in all desktops takes about 4-10x as long to open on my computer as it did in 12.04 - yet when it is loaded, things are faster - strange and have NO idea why this would be. Fast disk; fast processor, fast motherboard, fast VGA card. If not related, I'll make it another thread - but maybe there is some relationship.

crazybear
October 6th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Even stranger...I just found that if I re-install [using synaptic] gnome-fallback I will get the panels - but ONLY for ONE session. The next time I try to sign in with fallback there are NO panels!....I'm back using 12.04 until this can be solved. Personally I don't even like Ubuntu with the other desktops and find navigation slower than slow, bothersome, nothing can get up on panels as launchers and no new panels can be added. Very disappointed. Hope there is a solution. As an aside, 14.04 in normal Gnome [not fallback] seems unable to produce new or move the two default panels - additionally, I can't pin anything to the panels that are there - so customization is not possible.....making me uninterested to bother until I can get my panels with all of their launchers and indicators back. Thanks.

crazybear
October 11th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Pffft! No replies. I just made a bug report on this. Could be my system only. It still happens same time every time. I re-install gnome fallback and it will work ONE time ONLY. I now rarely use 14.04 because of this...am back to my 12.04 most of the time. Sad. Am I the only person with this problem?! Strange....when I ran the bug in terminal it told me it was gnome-panel that was really the issue....never had tried to re-install that. I just tried to reinstall it and it wanted to remove gnome and gnome-fallback and do a dist-upgrade involving lots of packages - and I panicked and cancelled it.

Vladlenin5000
October 11th, 2014, 04:51 PM
This is no reply either...
It's just to tell that's better to edit your original post to add more info instead of making a new post. As soon as you or someone else posts your thread no longer shows as unanswered and the unanswered posts team won't see it.

PS - You can always get a TTY console with CTRL+ALT+F1...F6 and get back to the graphical section with CTRL+ALT+F7.