PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Talk

Glanz
March 28th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Benjamin Mako Hill (http://mako.yukidoke.org/copyrighteous/) posted this Ubuntu and Customizing Debian Talk (http://mako.yukidoke.org/copyrighteous/freesoftware/20050318-00.html)
which among other things, explores and examines the founding principles and spirit behind the Ubuntu project and what the word Ubuntu itself means. He also explains what forks off the Debian project mean and Ubuntu's relation with the Debian project. Among other things, I learned that the founder of Ubuntu happens to be the first South African astronaut! Recommend reading, to say the least!

TravisNewman
March 28th, 2005, 05:46 AM
I don't know if you'd call Shuttleworth an astronaut... he paid to go into space, but except for the basic stuff on how to handle simple things, I don't think he had any astronaut training. To quote Tyler Durden, "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."

Anyway, yes, Shuttleworth is an amazing guy, from what I've read. He has so much stuff going, I dunno how he's still sane.
Mako's post doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but it IS great that it's now in one place. All this should be included in documentation, which really needs to be worked on.

Glanz
March 28th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Darn!!! All that time wasted thinking I was a chicken!!!
==================!
...anyway, maybe the guy isn't sane! But that's OK with me...
It's true that getting paid to go into space makes one an astronaut, whereas paying to go into space makes one a passenger.
==================!
As far as the documentation goes- - I could work on that, and I wouldn't even have to stick an encyclopedia up my butt to do it!

adbak
March 29th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Space tourist?

Glanz
March 29th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Space tourist?
I'll go for that!!! That's better than passenger...., because no matter where the money comes from, an astronaut is an astronaut. Shuttleworth did worthy experiments on the "shuttle" (couldn't resist the pun)... He did some Soluable Protein Cristallisation Research (with which I am familiar) and Stem Cell experiments when he was trippin' around in space.

I can't help but think of old Tim Leary, another "Space Tourist" or should I say "Spaced Tourist" who's ashes are at this moment orbiting the earth. In any case, it's much better being a living space tourist than a dead one.

CowPie
March 29th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Darn!!! All that time wasted thinking I was a chicken!!!

hehhe ;) quick someone alert peta!

Slapdash
March 29th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I don't know if you'd call Shuttleworth an astronaut... he paid to go into space, but except for the basic stuff on how to handle simple things, I don't think he had any astronaut training. To quote Tyler Durden, "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."

Anyway, yes, Shuttleworth is an amazing guy, from what I've read. He has so much stuff going, I dunno how he's still sane.
Mako's post doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but it IS great that it's now in one place. All this should be included in documentation, which really needs to be worked on.

Thats not entirely true.
He did scientific experiments on the shuttle.
He monitored the development of animal
cells under conditions of microgravity for one.

He paid yes but he still had to do the training etc

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/shuttleworth_preview_020424.html