PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Old Crew?

XDevHald
October 4th, 2014, 05:53 PM
It's been 2 1/2 years now since I have been here, really missed the place and notice nobody from the old crew is here anymore. I noticed ubuntugeek is no longere active since 2012 as well, where did everyone go?

tgalati4
October 4th, 2014, 09:29 PM
The coffee was stale and a new Starbucks opened across the steet, so everyone just kind of got up and left.

irv
October 4th, 2014, 09:37 PM
I'm still here. Been here since 2005. And am kinda old (76 now). No Starbuks in my life, live in to small a town. Got to travel 45 mile to find one.

bashiergui
October 5th, 2014, 03:19 AM
I saw a post (can't find it though) saying some people created new names after the introduction of SSO with Ubuntu One.

tgalati4
October 5th, 2014, 04:00 AM
After the revolution, the old Block Captains were kicked out and new ones took their place. It's not as much fun to chat around the samovar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samovar) anymore. You must keep your voice low and not speak ill of any desktop environments that advocate unity.

QIII
October 5th, 2014, 04:43 AM
You can say you don't like Unity. I don't. So I don't use it. Disagreements are allowed.

What we got tired of was the Unity trolling.

As for people leaving.. Well, a lot of people have come, too. Some folks just move on with other things.

And Starbucks burns their beans. Awful stuff.

user1397
October 5th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Tell me about it, more like what happened to the old old crew, circa 2006 hehe :)

vasa1
October 5th, 2014, 05:31 AM
It's all voluntary. People who want to help will help. Old or new isn't really relevant to the value of the help provided.

FWIW, some of the "Old Crew" are here: https://openlinuxforums.org/

BTW, something good came of this thread. I visited that forum after quite a while and picked up an Openbox tip :)

irv
October 5th, 2014, 01:17 PM
The help is great out here. Even though I have been using Ubuntu on and off, mostly on for the past 13 to 14 years, I set up a headless server with a command prompt this past month and I had three problems and got help with all of them. This was my first time trying it and it went well. The crew out here whether new or old is still a good crew. Yes, people come and people go, like me I was gone for a shot while to try Windows 8, but I found out Windows is Windows, always catching colds or getting malwared so I came back to Ubuntu. By the way I use Unity, but have been thinking about trying Gnome 3 again. That's brings me to a question. Can I run them both on the same machine without much trouble? You know, switching back and forth at bootup?

slooksterpsv
October 5th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Not sure who the "Old Crew" is, but I'm still here. I've been gone for a while because of catastrophic partition alignment issues causing me to lose 90%+ of my data. =(

mips
October 5th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Most of the old familiar faces seem to have left (mods & users), I often find myself wondering what they are up to these. For a lack of a better word things seem rather 'clynical' these days.

Linuxratty
October 5th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Most of the old familiar faces seem to have left (mods & users), I often find myself wondering what they are up to these. For a lack of a better word things seem rather 'clynical' these days.

Yeah,some I really enjoyed,but I like the new folks just as well,so it evens out.

tea for one
October 5th, 2014, 09:38 PM
By the way I use Unity, but have been thinking about trying Gnome 3 again. That's brings me to a question. Can I run them both on the same machine without much trouble? You know, switching back and forth at bootup?

Yes, you can install Gnome-Shell and switch between Unity & Gnome Shell. This is the instruction for Ubuntu 14.04

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

The switching did not work seamlessly when 14.04 was released in April 2014 and I had to add this utility to enable the desktop switch to function.

sudo apt-get install gnome-session

I hope that this is helpful

aysiu
October 6th, 2014, 05:41 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think I qualify as part of "the Old Crew." When I started on here in 2005, I was working a different type of job, so I had a lot of mental energy in the evenings and weekends to volunteer to help new users solve problems or to write tutorials. I also had stuff to contribute. These days, Ubuntu has made too much small changes for me to keep up with, and my jobs lately have been a bit too stressful to let me be on here too much. I still lurk. I'll peek in to see what's going on, but I'm not constantly on unanswered posts to see if I can help a new user.

I think, after a while, people just get burnt out or move on to other things. I still use Ubuntu off and on (alongside Windows, Mac, and ChromeOS), and this online community was invaluable in getting me up and running on Linux.

I'd love to know what others are up to. Anyone remember poofyhairyguy?

irv
October 6th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I see oldfred is still out here. Helped me a few times in the last month.

user1397
October 6th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think I qualify as part of "the Old Crew." When I started on here in 2005, I was working a different type of job, so I had a lot of mental energy in the evenings and weekends to volunteer to help new users solve problems or to write tutorials. I also had stuff to contribute. These days, Ubuntu has made too much small changes for me to keep up with, and my jobs lately have been a bit too stressful to let me be on here too much. I still lurk. I'll peek in to see what's going on, but I'm not constantly on unanswered posts to see if I can help a new user.

I think, after a while, people just get burnt out or move on to other things. I still use Ubuntu off and on (alongside Windows, Mac, and ChromeOS), and this online community was invaluable in getting me up and running on Linux.

I'd love to know what others are up to. Anyone remember poofyhairyguy?
aysiu, you're not just part of "the old crew" you're a freakin' LEGEND :)

and yes, I do remember poofyhairyguy.

do you remember azz? later changed to az? I remember for a while there he was "competing" with you in bean count (aka a really dumb way to say both of you were really helpful with new users haha).

ukripper
October 6th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Still here but I agree it is not the same fire.......

irv
October 7th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Sometime hot, sometimes cold, sometimes warm, but it still the best forum out here for help even when it's not Ubuntu. And the forum layout is great. Easy to find things. If I find a tread I know I am going to need again I send a link to myself and file it in a special place so I can find it quickly. I believe a lot of the old crew is still out here, but life sometimes gets demanding.

DougieFresh4U
October 9th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Every now and then I am surprised when I see an 'older' name posting
I still 'hang out' here on the forum sometimes.):P
I got a new computer with Win8 pre-installed and
I am not sure yet if I can install Ubuntu along side Win8
and I don't want to lose my Win8.
When I get it all figured out on how to get Ubuntu (dual boot)on my machine
I am sure I will be around more here at the forum

sports fan Matt
October 9th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Still here as well. Been busy with work and life these days. I lurk but as Aysiu mentioned, I just do not have the time to do much anymore. (Between work, traveling, storm chasing and everything else, life is hectic)

Mike_Walsh
October 9th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Well, boys and girls, I'm very definitely part of the 'new' crew, but I WILL say this. I've been using these here gadgets (along with just about every OS you can think of) for over 30 some-odd years now.....and despite being new to Linux in general, don't exactly consider myself to be a 'noob'.

During that time. I've been a member of many different forums (and user-groups, before the rise of t'internet), and these here forums have GOT to be the friendliest, most helpful bunch of technically-inclined and fair-minded individuals I think I've EVER found; a brilliant bunch of people.

Just about all OSs work pretty much the same under the hood, when it comes down to it. I may be 'new' to Ubuntu.....but if I can share the fruits of my years of experience, I will always be more than happy to do so. \\:D/

oldfred's helped me out on more than one occasion. The man's knowledge of partitioning & Grub is unparalleled.....! ;)

More power to the forums, and Linux; I shan't be returning to Windows, that's for sure...

Regards,

Mike.

tgalati4
October 9th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I agree with Mike's comments. That has saved me from having to spend a lot of time on other forums.

QIII
October 9th, 2014, 10:50 PM
I was a lurker for two or three years before I signed up, looking for solutions and not taking part. So I was around back in the day -- like a cockroach under the fridge.

Oh, by the way, Mike_Walsh: That was far too effusive and nice! Keep that up and you'll get an infraction! ;)

Iowan
October 9th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I don't sport an '05 join date, but didn't miss by much...

cariboo
October 10th, 2014, 01:22 AM
I also lurked for a couple of years before joining in 2006, I then lurked for another year before becoming active.

ACubed10
October 10th, 2014, 02:04 AM
I've been here since 2006. I used to be under the name CCBalla10 but have since opened this account. I do sometimes miss the old days but honestly I have moved on to other distro's...personally I feel like Ubuntu and my way of thinking are going in 2 different directions. Currently on Arch so that I can make my OS the way I want it.

tgalati4
October 10th, 2014, 02:56 AM
I started using Ubuntu in 2005, but didn't join the forums until 2007. Just needed a little time to get warmed up. My username came from my AOL account. Remember all of those CD's that used to come in the newspaper? I was obviously the 4th tgalati to to sign up.

vasa1
October 10th, 2014, 03:14 AM
One I do not miss is the dark something or the other.

andrew.46
October 10th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Times have very definitely changed :).

sammiev
October 10th, 2014, 03:55 AM
I was a lurker for two or three years before I signed up, looking for solutions and not taking part. So I was around back in the day -- like a cockroach under the fridge.

Oh, by the way, Mike_Walsh: That was far too effusive and nice! Keep that up and you'll get an infraction! ;)

Just got to love QIII sense of :lolflag: Well we will leave it at that. ):P

Irihapeti
October 10th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Not sure if I'm old crew or new crew. Maybe I'm just one of the motley crew :)

QIII
October 10th, 2014, 05:53 AM
No, Irihapeti, you're just o...

Oh. Hmmm. Best not say it. :)

Irihapeti
October 10th, 2014, 06:09 AM
No, Irihapeti, you're just o...

Oh. Hmmm. Best not say it. :)

:tongue:

ukripper
October 10th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I have been using linux since 2000 (start of my uni years), used mainly RHL and then SUSE and finally moved to ubuntu in 2006 but joined this forum start of 07 and got addicted to support area while doing my day job as application/database developer.

Today I am still an apt-get addict..finding ways to help me out of it, can't resist the temptation each time and had to peek into dark alleys...

Mike_Walsh
October 10th, 2014, 10:57 AM

=d>

Linuxratty
October 10th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
Oh, by the way, Mike_Walsh: That was far too effusive and nice! Keep that up and you'll get an infraction!

http://linuxinternationals.org/forum/images/smilies/gigglerab.gif
Ohhhhh, can we watch?:popcorn:
I started using Linux 11 years ago (Linspire). I'm using Elementary OS now. Since it's riding on the shoulders of Ubuntu, I still say I'm using Ubuntu. I rekkin I'm part of the old crew since I've been here off and on for years.

irv
October 10th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Every now and then I am surprised when I see an 'older' name posting
I still 'hang out' here on the forum sometimes.):P
I got a new computer with Win8 pre-installed and
I am not sure yet if I can install Ubuntu along side Win8
and I don't want to lose my Win8.
When I get it all figured out on how to get Ubuntu (dual boot)on my machine
I am sure I will be around more here at the forum

Be careful I got a new laptop with win8 and I install Ubuntu on it and wipe off win8. Didn't have a good recovery so I lost the OS so now I am back to using Ubuntu only. I really don't miss Windows.