PDA

View Full Version : sudo apt-get install gnome

davidpotter2
October 4th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I got ubuntu 13.04 on my laptop which got a 1024x600 screen, the unity bar on the left hand side ruins many sites and annoys the hell out of me, I truly do miss the windows startmenu + everything at bottom + I can easily see that other windows are behind the window I'm currently viewing.

So I did sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop, it didn't do anything at all as far as I could tell so I did a sudo apt-get install gnome* to see if I was missing anything... and then I got _EVERYTHING_ so now it runs some disgusting blue looking thing that I hate even more at 1 fps. so I did ctrl+alt+f1 and logged in and wrote sudo apt-get remove gnome* and now I got no desktop...

Where do I go from this awful place to a desktop that looks the most like windows(when it comes to the start-menu & keeping _everything_ at bottom)?

And is there any way of putting the terminal / synaptic / firefox or other ubuntu programs to the desktop? (I am a shortcut person.. shortcuts are supposed to be on the desktop)

Thanks in advance!

howefield
October 4th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Thread moved to "Desktop Environments" and closed as unsupported version.

Use a supported flavour of Ubuntu which has a desktop environment that suits your capability.