PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install from USB, reboot, will not load.

scott70
October 4th, 2014, 02:44 AM
I am a newbie when it comes to Linux, and would love to start getting more familiar with it, but can not seem to figure out what to do. I have a Lenovo B570 laptop that I would like to install Ubuntu on and can not seem to figure it out.

Basically I downloaded the ISO, made a live usb drive, and clicked install. The install completes and tells me to remove the install media and restart, and then nothing. Will not boot, brings up the boot menu, i select the HD and nothing.

I tried to do the same install with Linux Mint and same issue.

What am I doing wrong!!!

Bucky Ball
October 4th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Welcome. Brings up the boot menu? You mean the Ubuntu grub boot menu, where you can choose an OS, or it brings up the computer's device boot menu, where you can choose a device to boot from?

Just wondering how you created the USB and which release are you using. 14.04 LTS?

When you choose the HD, exactly what happens? Black screen? Blinking cursor? A error message of some kind?

scott70
October 4th, 2014, 03:13 AM
I created the usb with UUI. As soon as the computer reboots, screen goes black for about two seconds, then I get a error screen, followed by the computers boot device menu.

Pictures
Error Screen

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0u__tf2RMyxTkF5ZHREUHotUFE/view?usp=sharing)

yancek
October 4th, 2014, 03:15 AM
The Ubuntu installation medium has several options. Did you select Erase disk and install Ubuntu or one of the other options? Did you accept all the default values during the installation? If so, that would be pretty unusual on a system such as your with no other operating system. Did you use GPT or MBR method to boot during the install?

scott70
October 4th, 2014, 03:20 AM
I selected "Erase Disk and install Ubuntu". I accepted all default values and I am sorry but I dont understand the last. I booted with the live USB and ran the installer.

craig10x
October 4th, 2014, 03:29 AM
Perhaps you get have someone download ubuntu and make a dvd iso of it, then set your bios to boot of cd/dvd drive and pop in the disc while in bios...it would then boot up off the iso and first go into live session (try ubuntu) and once it totally loads in, select the "install Ubuntu" icon from the desktop (double click) then select the option to wipe the disc and install ubuntu...
Might well have better luck doing it from a dvd iso then from the usb...just a thought in case others here can't get you straightened out with your current install...

scott70
October 4th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Figured it out!!!!

"
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
cd /mnt/efi
cp -rfv ubuntu boot
cd boot
mv grubx64.efi bootx64.efi"

This fixed my issue!

Bucky Ball
October 4th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Excellent work, thanks for sharing, and glad to hear all is good for now. Good luck and enjoy! ;)