PDA

View Full Version : Solved: How to rotate my LCD monitor to safely use in "Tall/portrait mode"(see pic)

akoubu.9a
October 3rd, 2014, 09:52 PM
I have an LCD (flatscreen) computer monitor (ViewSonic brand). It currently is supported with the plastic stand that comes in the box. I'd like to start using the monitor in portrait (tall/vertical) mode. But the monitor can't just be rotated, because there is no rotating joint between the stand and the monitor.

Does anybody have any "McGyver"/hacks that will let me use my monitor in "tall" mode? My only request is that, whatever your solution/suggestion is, it will be 100% safe/secure and that there will be no risk of the monitor falling and breaking.

Thanks.

Update: I found an LG monitor destined for the trash. It comes with a stand with the screw holes. Could I use this stand with my ViewSonic monitor?

Second Update: We did it!

grahammechanical
October 4th, 2014, 04:20 AM
It has fixings for a wall mounted bracket and the holes are at the 4 corners of a square. Find away to modify one of those wall mount brackets and fix the monitor to it sideways.

Regards.

irv
October 4th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4FH1SK8899

akoubu.9a
October 7th, 2014, 08:59 PM
I found an unneeded monitor with a stand. I removed the stand. Attached are pics of that unneeded monitor and the stand.

How can I use this stand with my LCD monitor? The two "claws" are getting in the way.

irv
October 11th, 2014, 07:46 PM
With all this, have you checked to make sure you can rotate the output to portrait (tall/vertical) mode that you want? some monitor do not have that option. Make sure it will before you go through all this work.

akoubu.9a
October 11th, 2014, 08:18 PM
With all this, have you checked to make sure you can rotate the output to portrait (tall/vertical) mode that you want? some monitor do not have that option. Make sure it will before you go through all this work.
Good point, irv. In settings, I was able to rotate the orientation of the display.

akoubu.9a
October 11th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Hello everyone. I was able to use the LG stand with the 23" Viewsonic monitor. The monitor is tulted as downward as possible, but because of how tall it is, it's a bit on an upward-facing angle. I can think of two changes I could make:
1. Use our 21" monitor, or
2. Put something on the stand to make the stand tilt towards me. But this is not stable.
Anyway, I'm getting used to this off-angle viewing. :)
Thanks everyone for your support.

irv
October 12th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Boy that would make one heck of a tablet. But it would be a little heavy to carry around? :p

akoubu.9a
October 12th, 2014, 12:35 AM
yes, irv, it sure would be heavy to lug around. But in a few years, I predict tablets that size will be light and perhaps foldable/rollable. :)

irv
October 12th, 2014, 02:08 PM
http://wabasha-server.net/photos/tabletab.png