PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 14.04: Weird characters and other text problems

jaume-5
October 3rd, 2014, 07:40 PM
After upgrading ubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04, I have the following problems:

When I connect a Windows Server (Terminal Server) with RDP / Remmina, the keypad is inverted. That is, if NumLock is activated on the keyboard then does not work, but yes it does if disabled.

Using GMail in Chrome, I receive emails almost unintelligible, as if the character is half erased. If I copy and paste text in Writer, I can see perfectly. Usually, the font used is "calibri." This never happens if I use Firefox.

Using indistinctly Firefox or Chrome, many websites are not understandable because the characters appear strange, with no sense. I can not fix it, even changing the character encoding in my browser settings.

My browsers (even my Ubuntu) is in Catalan. In some web pages I get made in various languages by default in English, as if the website that my browser is interpreted in English or another language.

I am not an expert but I think it all started some time to install digikam (then still in Ubuntu 12.04). I installed this from the repository. The digikam install KDE libraries. But I do not use KDE, I use Gnome or Unity and I have installed and use Cairo Dock.
It would be normal to have digikam in Catalan but I got ever. I can only set it in American English.
Maybe some of these problems derived of any chaos in my locale, language settings, keyboards or/and other related things. Maybe too desktops ...
If some good person teaches me to clean and restore order without saying that I shall give him my special thanks.