PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop inquiry for ubuntu 14.04

Deb_T.
October 2nd, 2014, 05:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

I recently upgraded two of my machines from ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 and my ubuntu desktop is quite slow. I've read that others are having similar problems with their graphics after upgrading. However, using the X terminal remotely is fine and the speed seems as it did with 12.04. I only use the desktop when I need to trouble-shoot directly on the machine so it isn't critical that I regain the speed but it would be nice to have a faster application. I've searched for other ubuntu desktop solutions and was wondering if anyone here has similar problems and what you would suggest as an alternative.

My graphics card is as follows: VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. G200eR2

Thanks!
Deb

pfeiffep
October 2nd, 2014, 05:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I recently upgraded two of my machines from ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 and my ubuntu desktop is quite slow. I've read that others are having similar problems with their graphics after upgrading. However, using the X terminal remotely is fine and the speed seems as it did with 12.04. I only use the desktop when I need to trouble-shoot directly on the machine so it isn't critical that I regain the speed but it would be nice to have a faster application. I've searched for other ubuntu desktop solutions and was wondering if anyone here has similar problems and what you would suggest as an alternative.

My graphics card is as follows: VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. G200eR2

Thanks!
DebUbuntu is pretty slow on my old Dell laptop so I installed gnome session flash back -. this has made the Dell extremely useable

grahammechanical
October 2nd, 2014, 10:08 PM
If a machine can run Unity 3D on Ubuntu 12.04 then it most likely run Unity 3D on Ubuntu 14.04. Problems with graphics after upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04 are usually down to using proprietary video drivers. In my opinion, to avoid problems with an upgrade, revert to the open source video and then install a proprietary video driver.

Of course the amount of memory on the video card does also have an effect on video performance.

I would agree with the recommendation about gnome session flashback. I have it installed as an alternative desktop should I break Compiz or Unity and not be able to get to a desktop. Gnome Flashback has a Metacity option. So, the desktop will load running on Metacity and not Compiz.

Regards.

Deb_T.
October 3rd, 2014, 07:05 PM
Thank you for your responses! I looked up the gnome flashback and see that I can use the Metacity option. I assume that once this is installed, I'll be able to choose a desktop session at the login screen rather than this being my default desktop environment (over my existing ubuntu desktop)? I saw a recent post that discussed this.

Thanks again for your guidance!

deadflowr
October 3rd, 2014, 08:17 PM
Probably overkill, but i do recommend looking over Kansasnoob's gnome-flashback tweak thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2220264).
Plenty of helpful hints and tricks.

Deb_T.
October 3rd, 2014, 10:15 PM
No, not overkill at all. Like you wrote, lots of helpful tips.
Thanks for posting!!!