PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a spare GMail invite thing?

Raavea
July 28th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I hate how a simple question like this becomes suddenly inundated by beggars, but I really need an email account that isn't yahoo, aol, hotmail, etc. to sign up for something.

I would greatly appreciate any info or help on this, as though I realise there are plenty of free email providers that aren't those this form won't accept, they're all slow and unreliable in my experience. My own website email is slow (I waited three weeks for something when the form reckons it should be ten minutes.) and I can't afford to pay for one.

I've heard good things about gmail, so here is my beg: Pretty please help me? [-o<

Zodiac
July 28th, 2006, 04:17 PM
What's your email address?

T700
July 28th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I've got plenty. Anyone who wants one, just PM me.

Paul

Biltong (Dee)
July 28th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I have gmail and I have yet to see the "invite a friend" thingey. :-(

Johnsie
July 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM
ewww.... gmail... the hyped up email that was supposed to be "different". I love Googles amazing ability to create hype over something small ;-)

teet
July 28th, 2006, 05:55 PM
ewww.... gmail... the hyped up email that was supposed to be "different". I love Googles amazing ability to create hype over something small ;-)

1. You do get like 2.5+ GB of space that grows over time (why anybody needs 2.5 GB of space for email is beyond me though).

2. Gmail has some pretty good spam filters built in.

3. Gmail has POP3/SMTP support and Forwarding. I have my mom set up using Thunderbird with a Gmail account...she loves it.

4. The 'search' feature on the web interface is really handy (although, you could do this through Thunderbird or another email app if you're using POP3).

5. It's highly configurable for a web based servivce. For example, I used Gmail the other day to help out a customer. His mail server his company was using only supported a web interface (no POP3/SMTP), but he needed to be able to send email through Outlook Express. So I set him up with a GMail account and was able to configure it so the outgoing address on the email was his company's address instead of the Gmail address. Pretty slick.

6. It's free.

With that said, Gmail is probably hyped up too much, but it also offers more features than your average free, web-based email service.

Anyway, I too have a lot of Gmail invites if anybody ever needs it. Please put 'I need a Gmail invite' or something like that as the subject of your email so I don't accidentally delete your message.

-teet

Lord Illidan
July 28th, 2006, 05:57 PM
About the 2.5 gigs of space...you might need that, if you go on holiday and come back find you have a message box indundated with spam, as a result blocking any new e-mails. Once happened to me on my msn account 25mb.

True. lots of hype. But it's nice.

MaximB
July 28th, 2006, 06:04 PM
anyone who need a gmail invitation, "call me" - I've got 4 to give.

cstudent
July 28th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I have gmail and I have yet to see the "invite a friend" thingey. :-(

Look to the lower left when in your Gmail account via a web browser.

And as for my 2 cents:

I love my Gmail account. I like simple and plentiful. I have about 95 invites available, so PM me if you would like me to send you an invite.

chickengirl
July 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I have tons of invites. PM me if you want one.

Biltong (Dee)
July 28th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Look to the lower left when in your Gmail account via a web browser.

Where?
Every page is the same - no invites...

It was barren way before I got MS Outlook to suck messages off, and it is still Invite-Free :-(

cstudent
July 28th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Where?

It was barren way before I got MS Outlook to suck messages off, and it is still Invite-Free :-(

Switch to standard view. You're using basic html view.

Biltong (Dee)
July 28th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Switch to standard view. You're using basic html view.

Roger that....standard view....

And?

cstudent
July 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Roger that....standard view....

And?

huh, maybe it's only available in the states? That hardly seems fair. When I switched mine to html view the invite box disappeared, but it shows in standard view. I don't know why it wouldn't for you other than where you're located. I checked my settings options too and there is nothing there to set it to show up.

T700
July 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I think you must not be loved! Seriously, that's very odd. No idea why you don't have invitations.

Paul

Biltong (Dee)
July 28th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I think I'll survive :-)

sal
July 28th, 2006, 09:16 PM
i have 96 left pm me if you want them.

Dragonbite
July 28th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I too have a full deck of cards to pass out invites! PM me if you are intersted.

As to why Gmail? I find it much more responsive than Yahoo! mail with the graphics and and flash advertisement. These graphics are important when you are using dial-up.

I can download it to my local POP email client and have it archive the messages on the server instead of deleting them so that I have a local and a web-accessible version (handy when I'm at work). Add to that a BCC to myself whenever I send from my local client and my duplication is complete( with rules to auto-archive and stash it aside so I don't duplicate).

I've been pleased with it so far. Haven't used my Hotmail in years so I don't know how good that is anymore.

aktiwers
July 28th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I have about 96 or so.. PM me if you need invite.

GuitarHero
July 29th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I love gmail. I have 100 invites, so i can spare a few

jimrz
July 30th, 2006, 05:56 AM
+1

got plenty, if anyone needs/wants pm me

Rich3077
July 30th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Ditto to the many replys above. I am a gmail user and have tons of invites. I didnt even realize that gmail still needed an invite. Anyone that wants one can drop me a PM with their email addy and I will send it ASAP

pitkali
July 30th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I like gmail because it gives me consistent access to all my mail regardless whether I'm using Windows or Linux at the moment (my work requires using Windows). And it is far better than other web-based solutions I tried.

98 invites here to spare.

Regards,

Engnome
July 30th, 2006, 12:29 PM
99 invites here, just pm.

Johnsie
July 30th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Yahoo does free pop access but you have to sign up for a yahoo.co.uk account as apposed to a .com one. Not much good if you're not British though ;-p

I prefer using my own server for my mailing purposes because it gives me full control over how everything looks and feels.

I'm just not one to follow hype because I've learnt from the Micrsoft experience that it's not always good when one company dominates :-)

mips
July 30th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Where?

I don't know how long you've had gmail or how often you use it but initially you do not have the option to invite others. After a whiles use I got the option to invite 10 people, then it increased to 100. I think I still have about 94 invites left...

Biltong (Dee)
July 30th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I don't know how long you've had gmail or how often you use it but initially you do not have the option to invite others. After a whiles use I got the option to invite 10 people, then it increased to 100. I think I still have about 94 invites left...

I've had Gmail for about a month.
I had two invites to start - which I obviously dished out - and none since.
It's not a train-smash, but it is irritating that the people I invited (my brother & my boss) both have plenty invitations to give out and I have none.
Ah well, such is life. ;)

mips
July 30th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I've had Gmail for about a month.
I had two invites to start - which I obviously dished out - and none since.
It's not a train-smash, but it is irritating that the people I invited (my brother & my boss) both have plenty invitations to give out and I have none.
Ah well, such is life. ;)

I dunno if things change if you use the POP service.
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=7403&query=Invites&topic=0&type=f&ctx=search

Maybe you are just randomly unlucky ;)

Kimm
July 30th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I've got "a couple" of invites to spare (98'), anyone that wants one can PM me (although I get the feeling everyone have allredy got what they came for ;P)

Engnome
July 30th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I've got "a couple" of invites to spare (98), anyone that wants one can PM me (although I get the feeling everyone have allredy got what they came for ;P)

Warning syntax error: unmatched '(' :p

Hehe this thread will be useful and give more users to the forums, wan't gmail? sign up at ubuntuforums.org and pm one of the guys in this thread.

Kimm
July 30th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Warning syntax error: unmatched '(' :p

Lol, geek warning? ;) :-P

Hehe this thread will be useful and give more users to the forums, wan't gmail? sign up at ubuntuforums.org and pm one of the guys in this thread.

Problem is, 99% of those guys will sign up to do ONLY that and not realy provide anything to the community.
Not to bad if we want to break records though \\:D/

Anduu
July 31st, 2006, 05:11 AM
Man if I had known GMail invites were so abundant i would have asked for one many moons ago #-o

pitkali
July 31st, 2006, 05:21 AM
I prefer using my own server for my mailing purposes because it gives me full control over how everything looks and feels.
Ahh - lucky you. If only I had such capabilities :)

T313C0mun1s7
July 31st, 2006, 05:31 AM
I have 5 Accounts with 99 invites available in each.

Just join the TeamUbuntu Folding@Home team and PM me for an invite. The URLs for Folding@Home TeamUbuntu info is in my sig. Also, most of the things people think that stem cell research is suppose to do is already being worked on by Stanford University's Folding@Home project, and you can help. So drop out of the stem cell debate and actually do something to make a difference. Anyone who does I will give free Gmail invites to, not that invites are worth much, but your spare processor cycles just might make a difference.

http://dcsig.liquidninjas.com/store/dcsig_3687_2096.png

pitkali
July 31st, 2006, 05:34 AM
You're evil :P

mips
July 31st, 2006, 06:51 AM

Just join the TeamUbuntu Folding@Home team and PM me for an invite. The URLs for Folding@Home TeamUbuntu info is in my sig. Also, most of the things people think that stem cell research is suppose to do is already being worked on by Stanford University's Folding@Home project, and you can help. So drop out of the stem cell debate and actually do something to make a difference. Anyone who does I will give free Gmail invites to, not that invites are worth much, but your spare processor cycles just might make a difference.

You should do well in a marketing/advertising career ;)

T313C0mun1s7
July 31st, 2006, 02:25 PM
You should do well in a marketing/advertising career ;)

Then why am I doing so poorly selling myself. I am (not bragging) one of the best, most well rounded techs in the area in which I live. I have built the working prototypes of a VoIP softswitch, Wireless ISPs, and Fiber-to-the-Home systems among many other things. Yet here I work in manufacturing for $10 an hour trying to build my own business now and getting 1 or 2 jobs ever few months.

No, If I sound impassioned about Folding@Home it is only because I see it as a viable means to help find a cure for so many things. As many if not more than stem cell research could ever do. Folding has several published findings reports, where as the only published finding from stem cell research are known frauds. I run the folding client on all my computers. It runs very nice (19 to be exact) and you don't even notice it is there.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=188072

mips
July 31st, 2006, 02:50 PM
Then why am I doing so poorly selling myself. I am (not bragging) one of the best, most well rounded techs in the area in which I live. I have built the working prototypes of a VoIP softswitch, Wireless ISPs, and Fiber-to-the-Home systems among many other things. Yet here I work in manufacturing for $10 an hour trying to build my own business now and getting 1 or 2 jobs ever few months.

My remark was not a negative one at all incase it is thought of that way.

A lot of business revolves around networking and peoples skills, technicall skills alone are not going to sell a product. I'm not saying you don't have any other skills, just generalising.

You sold the folding at home pretty good though.

chickengirl
July 31st, 2006, 03:20 PM

Problem is, 99% of those guys will sign up to do ONLY that and not realy provide anything to the community.
Not to bad if we want to break records though \\:D/

This forum is hardly the only one with a thread like this. You could go practically anywhere and say "Hey, anyone got a gmail invite?" and people will start offering them up left and right.

Lord Illidan
July 31st, 2006, 03:32 PM
huh, maybe it's only available in the states? That hardly seems fair. When I switched mine to html view the invite box disappeared, but it shows in standard view. I don't know why it wouldn't for you other than where you're located. I checked my settings options too and there is nothing there to set it to show up.

Nope, I have 100 here..pm me.

mips
July 31st, 2006, 03:56 PM
Available everywhere except maybe places like China & N.Korea where censorship is rife.

zxee
July 31st, 2006, 04:13 PM
Yeah I have some gmail invites too. It's great that this is such a supportive community.
Off Topic: Although I once enjoyed gmail lately, runnning edgy eft knot1 with Firefox 1.5.0.4, I get a unsupported browser page when logging in. This is resolvable by going to yet another page "nocheckbrowser" but it's become very irritating, and I looked for a new webmail account-found www.mail2world.com. It's not as good as gmail though (it does have unlimited storage).

T313C0mun1s7
July 31st, 2006, 04:24 PM
I didn't take offence, I was just stating (poorly I guess) that my ability to market is not very good. I just think folding is a no brainer, and that folding for TeamUbuntu - well that is just cool.;)

My remark was not a negative one at all incase it is thought of that way.

A lot of business revolves around networking and peoples skills, technicall skills alone are not going to sell a product. I'm not saying you don't have any other skills, just generalising.

You sold the folding at home pretty good though.

Stew2
July 31st, 2006, 06:12 PM
I didn't take offence, I was just stating (poorly I guess) that my ability to market is not very good. I just think folding is a no brainer, and that folding for TeamUbuntu - well that is just cool.;)

Could you send me a link to a simple install script for the folding program? I tried it once before and messed up the install. I would be happy to contribute my spare CPU cycles! :D Thanks

Regards,
Stew2

mips
July 31st, 2006, 06:24 PM
Could you send me a link to a simple install script for the folding program? I tried it once before and messed up the install. I would be happy to contribute my spare CPU cycles! :D Thanks

Regards,
Stew2

Look at his signature.

Stew2
July 31st, 2006, 06:48 PM
Look at his signature.

Oops! :o Can't tell I'm half asleep. Thanks! ;)

T313C0mun1s7
July 31st, 2006, 11:04 PM

1. Download the finstall http://www.vendomar.ee/~ivo/finstall (http://www.vendomar.ee/%7Eivo/finstall) either with some browser and upload it to this box with sftp/ftp or if wget is available type:

wget -c http://www.vendomar.ee/~ivo/finstall
2. Make the script runnable:

chmod +x finstall

3. Start it:

./finstall
After the client is installed You can start/stop/... FAH client with ./foldingathome/folding script. For Example(s)

~/foldingathome/folding start

or

~/foldingathome/folding stop

or

~/foldingathome/folding status

For me this was all I needed as it automatically created the init scripts I needed to start after reboot. However the init scripts don't seem to work for everyone, so if you need to do it manually:

1. Make a file called foldingathome in the /etc/init.d directory:

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/foldingathome
2. Paste this in:

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/init.d/foldingathome for Ubuntu
# Start the F@H service.

pushd /home/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/foldingathome/
su john -c "screen -d -m ./folding start"
popd

3. Save and exit

Here are a couple more hints to make things go smoother:
Pick a username before you start, to see if your username is in use visit this page first http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html. There is a search box at the top that you can use to see if your selected username is in use.
Have you team number ready, it is question two right after your username. You should use 45104 for this.
If you have an old computer you should run deadlineness work units. To select the option to do this select yes when asked if you want to set advanced options, then continue to select the defaults until you are asked about deadlineless workunits and select yes.
Finally here is a link to the original thread for using the finstall script from the folding community forums, it is where I found my answers and definitely the easiest way to get this working under Dapper Drake. http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=2283
Enjoy Folding and Welcome to TeamUbuntu