PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on a Chomebook

Ben_Shaver
October 2nd, 2014, 03:42 AM
I friend of mine recently bought a Chromebook (I don't know what brand i.e., HP, Dell, etc) without really looking into what they do. They simply bought it because it was cheap... Upon finding that it was very un-functional I offered to install Ubuntu on it to make it more like your average laptop. In short, I have no idea how to do this... I'd like to completely remove Chrome OS (or whatever it's called) and have nothing but Ubuntu running on the Chromebook, is this possible? Thanks in advance! :)

kurt18947
October 2nd, 2014, 08:01 AM
I have no experience but do you know about crouton?

http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/?PageSpeed=noscript

Ben_Shaver
October 3rd, 2014, 05:32 AM
It did a little... But that wouldn't completely remove Chrome OS, it'd be like dual booting... I was wondering if I could remove Chrome OS completely and replace it with Ubuntu, or Xubuntu for example.

TheFu
October 3rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
Yes, you can. But on my C720, you'll need to void the warranty to force legacy booting so that non-ChromeOS will be booted without remembering a magic key-cord at every boot.

Plus, the 16G of SSD storage just isn't enough for most users. I swapped in a 128G SSD (also voided the warranty) in doing this.
Honestly, I wish I'd gotten an 11inch Dell over this device - same CPU for 8+ hrs of battery, but a real keyboard, more hdd storage, wired networking and better video-out options. I must have spent $130 more in upgrades to make this chromebook useful. For that, I could have gotten the Dell, dude - without the crappy chromeOS keyboard, which still sucks 9 months later. It is missing a row of important keys and doesn't have a DEL key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of posts here about the C720. Search if that model is what he got.

kurt18947
October 3rd, 2014, 08:06 PM
Yes, you can. But on my C720, you'll need to void the warranty to force legacy booting so that non-ChromeOS will be booted without remembering a magic key-cord at every boot.

Plus, the 16G of SSD storage just isn't enough for most users. I swapped in a 128G SSD (also voided the warranty) in doing this.
Honestly, I wish I'd gotten an 11inch Dell over this device. Lots of posts here about the C720. Search if that model is what he got.

If you're going to void the warranty, no point in half-measures:D. I've thought of the same thing, adding a larger SSD but by the time I did that I'd be most of the way to a WinTel box.

Ben_Shaver
October 4th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Ok, I believe it's the C720 model (its an Acer) I tried Crouton and hated it, and so did my friend... Like I asked previously, is there a way to completely wipe the HD and have nothing but Ubuntu on it?

TheFu
October 4th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Ok, I believe it's the C720 model (its an Acer) I tried Crouton and hated it, and so did my friend... Like I asked previously, is there a way to completely wipe the HD and have nothing but Ubuntu on it?

And the answer is "yes."

For my own sanity, these notes:
* http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/03/12/ubuntu-on-acer-c720-chromebooks
* http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/04/18/easy-acer-c720-ubuntu-14-04
"Easy" may not be the best term and it only talks about the stuff I've done. There are links to other peoples instructions which will be more helpful.