PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to Install Ubuntu 14.04 - Partitioner throws error

shibu_sawyer
September 30th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Hi,

I got a problem on installing ubuntu 14.04 on my netbook, No matter what partition size i give i get this error message
"some of the partition you created are too small, Please make the following partition this large : /home 0TB0".

If i click continue my installation fails.

I tried using xubuntu 14.04 too, it returned the same error. Not sure if this is a bug or what wrong.

I tried installing ubuntu 12.04 and it installed and worked like a charm, infact i am typing this from my ubuntu 12.04.

Attached is the screenshot. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

shibu_sawyer
October 15th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Any one has any idea about this...

sand7000
October 15th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Can you please take a screen shot that shows the partition sizes and mount points? The error in your original screen shot covered that up.

shibu_sawyer
October 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

At Present I do not have another screen shot, currently i am running 12.04.

These are my partition sizes :

/ - 8 GB
Home - 120 GB
Swap - 2 GB

I did not create other partitions, i found this is enough for a net-book to run. And currently i am running 12.04 with the same partition size and it installed smooth and works. Only when installing 14.04 i get this "some of the partition you created are too small, Please make the following partition this large : /home 0TB0" error message.

sand7000
October 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM
The scheme you are describing should work fine, but a did some googling and found that other people have had the same issue. Sounds like it is a bug.

Are you planning to mount the home directory on multiple OS (a different flavor of *nix on the same netbook I mean)? If not the home directory being a separate partition is not necessary. So you could try installing with just:

/ - 128GB
Swap - 2GB

shibu_sawyer
November 16th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Yes ,guess its a bug cos the same partitioning scheme works fine for 12.04.

Thanks.

yancek
November 16th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Don't plan on installing much software with an 8GB / partition. Although the Ubuntu page indicates a minimum of 5GB needed, the second link below indicates it shows a minimum of 6.4GB needed. I recall from my install it required 6+GB.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

http://www.tecmint.com/ubuntu-14-04-installation-guide/