PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I can't boot ubuntu 14.04 from usb driver on a Toshiba Satellite A100

intuition2
September 29th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Hi everyone!
I'm a recent user on Ubuntu and I'm trying to install Ubuntu 14.04 on another machine I have - Toshiba Satellite A100 - I've downloaded the Ubuntu 14.04.1-desktop-i386.is, for 32 bits, I've got the Universal Usb Installer and followed the steps to create a bootable usb - I've restarted it - Pressed F2 to get into Bios - Moved the USB up to the first position on the Boot folder - pressed F10 to save and quit - The screen goes black and then the computer restarts and Windows XP flashes up again.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Is it possible that maybe due to that computer's age (I think I got it around December 2007) it wouldn't support ubuntu or at least this version?

Thanks very much for all the help!

intuition2
September 30th, 2014, 03:22 AM
SOLVED

Apparently I guess it just won't boot from an USB port. (I don't know if it requires a Bios update or something like that... But I didn't try it.)

Before anything, and because I saw on some other threads Ubuntu 14.04 was working perfectly fine on a Toshiba Satellite A100, I tried doing it through a DVD (used a DVD burner) and then I could boot it from the DVD and it worked just fine.

Thanks anyway.

vasa1
September 30th, 2014, 04:38 AM
SOLVED

Apparently I guess it just won't boot from an USB port. (I don't know if it requires a Bios update or something like that... But I didn't try it.)

Before anything, and because I saw on some other threads Ubuntu 14.04 was working perfectly fine on a Toshiba Satellite A100, I tried doing it through a DVD (used a DVD burner) and then I could boot it from the DVD and it worked just fine.

Thanks anyway.That's good news although if you have a boot from USB option in your BIOS you should have been able to do so. Maybe the way you prepared the USB stick was the issue.

If you want to follow this up, there are several people around to help.