PDA

View Full Version : Is there cheap cloud service in Europe?

jeehyun
September 29th, 2014, 03:56 AM
I use mailbox.org for mail, calendar, and contact.
It is based on Germany and support carddav, caldav and active sync for all platforms.
But I cannot find cheap and reliable cloud storage services.
Wuala and Cloudme are expensive for me.
Is there good cloud company in Europe?
Thanks.

jeehyun
September 30th, 2014, 05:42 AM
I found it.
Hubic.com
It's french company. :p It's just 1euro/month for 100gb. It supports all platforms.

mastablasta
September 30th, 2014, 08:35 AM
well that's chep. do they encrypt?

also how about own cloud ? or one of cheap NAS boxes?

mcduck
September 30th, 2014, 09:15 AM
wow, that's pretty cheap :o

They don't mention anything about encryption, but France has pretty strict privacy laws so from that perspective things are likely to be better than what Google Drive, Dropbox and other provide. And in the end you can always use something like Encfs to handle the encryption on your computer's end (unless you want to use the mobile app as well).

I also found this: https://github.com/TurboGit/hubicfuse, could be sueful if you want nice desktop integration...

georgelappies
September 30th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Have a look at https://owncloud.org/

irv
September 30th, 2014, 04:59 PM
I started using cloud storage a few years ago so I ended up with stuff all over the place. Now I am not in Europe, but when it comes to cloud storage it can be all over the world. I have my own server and I sftp to it via Nautilus by hitting the [Ctrl] and "L" key and typing

sftp://login-name@server-name
Then entering my password.
You can setup a scrip to do all this and just run the scrip. This is my own cloud storage now.
There is also a thing call Pogoplug server box that you can plug in 4 hard drives. With this you need a pogoplug account to log into so you can connect to your drive. I like my own server better. All you need is your own ip address to set it up on the Internet so you can ssh or sftp into it from any where. Ones setup you can't get any cheaper on a per month bases and you can have TB's of storage.
This way I can just drag and drop files from my laptop to my server in seconds.
I haven't done it yet but you could setup and auto sync so it would keep a copy of your files on both your server and PC.

Paulgirardin
September 30th, 2014, 10:33 PM
mega.co.nz
I believe their servers are in Germany.50gb free.

jeehyun
October 1st, 2014, 01:53 AM
Thank you everyone. I will try all of them.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 3rd, 2014, 02:48 AM
Have a look at https://owncloud.org/
running it on a raspberry pi, works great as long as you don't use the web interface (slow)
that is what i did when U1 ended cloud storage
of course i now have my pi doing several other things (eg: music player)

markodd
October 12th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Jeehyun, did you find any other alternative? hubic.com seems interesting (and cheap!), but I want to have more alternatives!

sudodus
October 12th, 2014, 11:20 AM
jeehyun mentioned Wuala and Cloudme. I have Cloudme's free service (which works well within its limits, for example low max file size).

carrington2
October 12th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I have used gmail.com for sending and receiving mail. I think it is also free service.

nerdtron
October 13th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Linode gives you a VPS for $10 a month and they have a Europe datacenter.

Michael_McKenney
October 13th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Not many cloud services support Linux well. I looked for one for my web server. It is 185GB. Most are Windows only.

jeehyun
October 16th, 2014, 03:42 AM
I select MEGA.
Hubic.com is cheap but service quality is not good. It does not have even support mail. Most users seem to be angry about service on its forum. Mega.co.nz is stable on linux and supports encryption. It also has android app. It never failed to sync. 50 gb free is good considering I also use dropbox for non critical mass files like music, pdf tutorilas, and programs. NAS or myown cloud is too hard for me. I cannot manage my own server.

Sasha_Aderolop
October 16th, 2014, 04:02 PM
I recommend you visit Host1plus. Great hosting with nice support.

glyczak
October 18th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I use Mega (http://mega.co.nz).