PDA

View Full Version : Question about installation options with minimal cd.

deniseramos
September 28th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Good evening!
I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04 (64-bit) minimal cd (37Mb) and i have two very important questions on the same subject, i hope you can help me.

1- I Would like to know which installation options should i choose to install the basic Ubuntu, the normal version of it. I saw that there are some options for desktop and i did not know which one to choose (i aborted installation because i have only one pc in dual boot). I was between Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu GNOME Desktop, so i chose this and let the option that contains the GNOME off. I chose this option only among all others. I did right or missing something more to get the basics?

2 The installation occurred without error, but the start time, Ubuntu failed to mount a partition. Appeared a message similar to this:

At Mount Failed (can not remember what estavaescrito here) no such file or directive
Continue to wait or press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery.
I remember that i chose the option to encrypt the / home /, maybe that will be?

deadflowr
September 28th, 2014, 07:18 AM
for 1 - If installing normal Ubuntu is all you want, then yeah, ubuntu-desktop is all you would need.
an added benefit of the mini install is that you can also add a few packages beside installing the desktop packages.
(using the manually select package feature)

or fore go the desktop packages and go total minimal by selecting all the packages manually.
This is typically what most users installing from mini would do, but I would understand if troublesome disk space to run a full install disk would make doing it through a mini the best option.