PDA

View Full Version : Black screen with white underscore when trying to install/dualboot Ubuntu.

hooby2
September 28th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Hello there! I posted this same post in the new user forum, but I think I might get better results here.
Anyways, I am completely new to Ubuntu (Hello world!) and I have been having issues with installing Ubuntu in order to Dual-boot with Windows 7

Here is my scenario: When I start my computer with the boot-disk in, it first shows that it is finding some file, after it will show a purple screen with some symbols on it, then it turns into a black screen with a flashing white underscore, then turns into another black screen with a smaller white underscore and allows the user to type for 10 seconds until it freezes and makes me have to hard-reset my computer to get out of there, which to say the less is rather annoying

I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04 ISO from the official website, and I burned it onto a DVD+R disk. I have also shrunk the volume for my c:\ drive by 30gb. I have also tried methods, such as (hitting f6 and typing "nomodeset"), however when I spammed that f6 key, nothing happened, other than the usual purple screen, dark screen, and other dark screen routine. I tried typing it in the second dark screen out of desperation, but alas nothing happened and It hung like if it were on a noose...

Welp, here are my System specs:

Intel Core i7-3770k CPU @3.50GHz (8-CPUs)
16 GB ram
AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (ASUS HD7770 Series)
AS-Rock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional

and (just in case)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Thanks in advance!

Iowan
September 28th, 2014, 03:08 AM
Please don't create duplicate threads. I've closed your other one. If you would like to have a thread moved, you can use the "Report Post" button at the lower left of each post.

Welcome to the forums! Good luck with your problem - there are some great techno-wizards lurking about.

hooby2
September 28th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Sorry Admin :( That was my bad...