PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to delay, again?

forrestcupp
July 28th, 2006, 02:04 PM
This yahoo article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060728/tc_nm/microsoft_tech_dc_2

makes it sound like Windows Vista may be delayed yet again.

"We will ship Windows Vista when it is available," Kevin Johnson, co-president of Microsoft's platforms and services unit, said at the company's annual financial analysts' meeting, adding that Microsoft would take the project "milestone by milestone."

That quote sounds like what they used to say about "Duke Nukem Forever." Then it never was released. Vista is the latest Vaporware.

Maybe they should change the name to Windows Nada. How often do Ubuntu upgrades come out again? Every 6 months? Wow!

tom-ubuntu
July 28th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Windows Nada :D Good one.

Anyway, who cares? Most people in here use Ubuntu at home, probably only Ubuntu. They probably need to use Windows in the office, mostly Win2000, rarly XP. Companies will not upgrade soon or never, home users don't need to buy. So who cares in here?

fuscia
July 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM
if they were smart, they would take a linux distro and just package it as the next windows. they could include whatever drivers they needed to make it 'ready for the desktop'.

FISHERMAN
July 28th, 2006, 03:33 PM
if they were smart, they would take a linux distro and just package it as the next windows. they could include whatever drivers they needed to make it 'ready for the desktop'.

That would not be possible consdering the more restricting GPL(unless MS radically change their policy).

Though they could use a BSD-distribution(just like apple did with freeBSD/Mac OS X) and make it their new proprietary OS.

And if they're really smart they could make a Wine version for their new WindowsBSD, so old applications could still be used.

Luckily MS isn't that smart.

mips
July 28th, 2006, 03:33 PM
If I was MS I would start from scratch. All the legacy shite is bogging them down.

They might as well take FreeBSD6.1 and build on it.

jc87
July 28th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Actually if i "were they" , i would:

A) Forget backward compatibility , the OS cannot evolve by keeping crappy/unsecure fundamentals that doesnīt just work.

B) Steal as much BSD OS code as possible , they would be legally just forced to admit using it , not giving back unlike the GPL.

C) After having the BSD code would just be a matter of making a few changes at the kernel , package manager , etc... and starting releasing specs for 3dīr party devs to make their apps.

D) Profit and service packs.

tsb
July 28th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Maybe they should change the name to Windows Nada. How often do Ubuntu upgrades come out again? Every 6 months? Wow!

You obviously haven't considered how most big businesses control their software upgrades. Most big companies waited years before adopting XP and won't adopt Vista until it's been tested and proven for a few years after its launch. They test new OSes for years before migrating. A six month cycle means nothing and would only provide uneccessary complications for all but home users and small businesses. MS already has a lock on home users, so why rush a product when their only worry is the big business sector which won't be using the software for years anyway? ;-)

beercz
July 28th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Anyway, who cares? Most people in here use Ubuntu at home, probably only Ubuntu. They probably need to use Windows in the office, mostly Win2000, rarly XP. Companies will not upgrade soon or never, home users don't need to buy. So who cares in here?
Do you know me? This is exactly the situation I am in - oh and I for one don't care!!

Lord Illidan
July 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM
You obviously haven't considered how most big businesses control their software upgrades. Most big companies waited years before adopting XP and won't adopt Vista until it's been tested and proven for a few years after its launch. They test new OSes for years before migrating. A six month cycle means nothing and would only provide uneccessary complications for all but home users and small businesses. MS already has a lock on home users, so why rush a product when their only worry is the big business sector which won't be using the software for years anyway? ;-)

The point is that they are lagging far behind the other oses in terms of new features and innovation. Linux and OSX have all the new features that Vista has already. And they are innovating more.

I agree a six month cycle would be unacceptable, and already we can see that as linux distros become more widely used, the six month cycle is being expanded. For example, Dapper extended the cycle and is now LTS, too. Debian also.
However, a six year cycle is hardly acceptable, either.

prizrak
July 28th, 2006, 09:41 PM
This yahoo article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060728/tc_nm/microsoft_tech_dc_2

makes it sound like Windows Vista may be delayed yet again.

That quote sounds like what they used to say about "Duke Nukem Forever." Then it never was released. Vista is the latest Vaporware.

They are both comming out at the same time :)

IYY
July 28th, 2006, 09:52 PM
That quote sounds like what they used to say about "Duke Nukem Forever." Then it never was released.

Actually, Duke Nukem Forever will be released this year.

croak77
July 28th, 2006, 10:24 PM
What's wrong with Microsoft delaying Vista? I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a more tried and tested release then go with what they have now.

forrestcupp
July 28th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Actually, Duke Nukem Forever will be released this year.

No way! Is this true. That just may be worth putting Windows back on my computer for.

G Morgan
July 28th, 2006, 11:04 PM
The point is that they are lagging far behind the other oses in terms of new features and innovation. Linux and OSX have all the new features that Vista has already. And they are innovating more.

I agree a six month cycle would be unacceptable, and already we can see that as linux distros become more widely used, the six month cycle is being expanded. For example, Dapper extended the cycle and is now LTS, too. Debian also.
However, a six year cycle is hardly acceptable, either.

This is why we have a LTS thing. You can still keep a 6 month release cycle but every 18 months make a LTS release. Fits in perfect.

As for the talk of backwards compatibility. This is what VM's are for. The problem is MS are struggling with basics like the kernel rather than whats above but this is mostly because of backwards compatibility. They should write a thiner server OS with a completely fresh API then add a VM system and GUI for the desktop release. They could add some sort of signal into the installer for new programs and for others force them to chose a compatibility mode (which would be perfect this time because it uses a VM).

tsb
July 29th, 2006, 06:23 PM
You guys fail to understand that many businesses tested XP for three to four years before migrating. Even a three year cycle is too short for big business.

forrestcupp
July 29th, 2006, 09:31 PM
You guys fail to understand that many businesses tested XP for three to four years before migrating. Even a three year cycle is too short for big business.

Maybe they did wrong when they merged the NT line and the 9x line into one. Maybe they should have kept their business os and desktop os separate so they could release desktop versions quicker. My main point wasn't really that they don't release quick enough, but that they never can release when they say they will. How many delays will it take? I don't really care. I'm just relishing the fact that I don't have to wait around anymore now that I use Ubuntu.

croak77
July 29th, 2006, 10:44 PM
My main point wasn't really that they don't release quick enough, but that they never can release when they say they will. How many delays will it take? I don't really care. I'm just relishing the fact that I don't have to wait around anymore now that I use Ubuntu.

That's why public release dates are bad. It's ready when it's ready.

I seem to remember Dapper being delayed.

jeremy
July 30th, 2006, 05:26 PM
If I was MS, i'd sell up and run. Hold it, isn't that what BG has just done?