PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't change screen resolution

penguinboy561
September 27th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I'm having two issues with my Ubuntu 14 install, one I've band-aided, the other of which is making me pull my hair out.

1. I managed to install Ubuntu 14, but I get a black screen on boot, and my Acer monitor gives me the 'ol "Input not supported." I'm connecting using HDMI. I managed to get around this by using nomodeset. I don't know how to make nomodeset permanent, so I've had to reenter it on every boot. This is an annoyance, but here's the bigger problem:

2. I can't change the screen resolution. My monitor supports 1920x1080 resolution, but Ubuntu is defaulting to a paltry 1024x768 4:3, which looks atrocious and stretched out. It doesn't give me the option of changing it. I've tried downloading the latest nvidia drivers (my card in a GeForce GT 730), but that resulted in total failure and finally I had to reinstall Ubuntu. I've messed around a bit with xrandr, but nothing seems to be working.

I've heard that Ubuntu has issues with Acer monitors. unfortunately I don't have another one to test with and I'm not keen on buying one. Does anyone have any ideas to help this noob?

ajgreeny
September 27th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I've tried downloading the latest nvidia drivers (my card in a GeForce GT 730), but that resulted in total failure and finally I had to reinstall Ubuntu.
How did you do that?
You should use the "Additional Drivers" utility from dash, not go to nvidia direct, if that is what you did.

redrumrogue
September 27th, 2014, 11:10 PM
I had a similar problem after installing Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 and found that I had to set the desktop interface scaling to a value of 1. I'm not sure that this is relevant to you with a unity ubuntu install but it's worth checking anyway. To do this type the following in terminal ... (as current user, not root)

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 1

You will need to reboot as well for the change to take full effect.

You can set this property through dconf-editor GUI as well.

Hope it helps!