PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 14.04 User rights confusion-errors

hoboy
September 27th, 2014, 09:14 AM
The problem is that when I login in ubuntu 14.04 as a guest user that was created during the initial installation unity desktop look fine.
But when I change to the user I normally login into unity side bar is visible, and I when I launch ubuntu software center it it start then close automatically.
but when I login as a guest user I an launch ubuntu softare center, and all unity bars are are in place.

fly-by-night
September 27th, 2014, 11:35 AM
If I understand correctly, the problem relates to the Unity Launcher.
Check System Settings/Appearance under Behavior tab. Set to Off.

Edit: Ubuntu Software Centre opening and closing, sorry can't help

hoboy
September 27th, 2014, 11:46 AM
If I understand correctly, the problem relates to the Unity Launcher.
Check System Settings/Appearance under Behavior tab. Set to Off.

Edit: Ubuntu Software Centre opening and closing, sorry can't help

Tks very much any suggestion is welcomed I am desperated now I have used 2 days on it.
the suggestion did not helped.
I don't understand when I log in as Guest everything works

hoboy
September 28th, 2014, 10:01 AM
no answer ???

echotech2
September 28th, 2014, 10:17 AM
It's the weekend. Wait for a day or two.

yancek
September 28th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Each time I have installed Ubuntu I have been prompted to create a user (one user) and that user is the primary user and will have root/admin privileges. I have never seen a guest user on an installed system so I'm wondering where that came from. I suppose it would be easy enough to do. Was the user you created during the install 'guest' and you later created another user? I guess that would explain your situation in part at least. Maybe you could clarify these points. Or maybe I'm not understanding the problem?

Vladlenin5000
September 28th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Actually, by default, there's always a guest account in standard Ubuntu, at least. You can explicitly disable it but the default is with guest account. And no, it isn't part of the problem here. As a matter of fact it helps a lot in understanding where the problem must be: Whenever the desktop is fine in the guest account but it isn't in the main or other users' accounts then something is wrong in that/those profile(s). What's wrong is what you need to find out.

Have you installed themes or in any way tweaked the desktop environment?

hoboy
September 28th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Have you installed themes or in any way tweaked the desktop environment?
I have installed Gnome

Vladlenin5000
September 28th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I have installed Gnome

There's your problem.