PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error installing grub/ubuntu 14.04.1 on acer-583P windows 8 dual boot

cortell
September 26th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I am attempting to install Ubuntu 14.04.1 on a multi partitioned (i.e. recovery partitions) 500GB drive residing inside of an Acer m5-583p laptop with Windows 8 in with Dual Boot functionality. When i install ubuntu from a live usb everything works fine. But when i restart to boot it loads windows instead, i figured it was something wrong with grub not being installed correctly in the MBR of dev/sda so i mounted the linux file system and tried grub-install but it keeps giving me the following errors:

this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible.
Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged.
will not proceed with blocklists.

ajgreeny
September 26th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Try Boot-Repair from my signature below, but do not at this stage run the repair, just run the boot-info-script and copy the link it gives you back here so we can read the report.