PDA

View Full Version : Installation help: NO OS and CD PROBS

billy11
September 24th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Hello, I have two towers and three internal hdds (30gb, 80gb, 160gb) and the computers are a Dell Inspiron 4600 and a Compaq presario that did run millenium and xubuntu.

Currently, any combination of hard drive and computer does not work. the cables are working, the bios will tell me the size of the drive. My assumption is that all of the drives' os's are corrupted.

Now i would install windows again in hopes to get it to work long enough to install Lubuntu and keep it there, but the cd drives wont boot into their respective menus (NTLDRFIX).

1. Am I @#$%ed?
2. If not, will a live disk of linux distro (preferably) install?
3. Will it work on a CD-R with 700mb? i dont think these old drives can read DVD-RW 4.7gb's.
4. What else can i do? i dont think usb's will work since they are so old, and i have a working laptop with windows 8, ubuntu, and kali.

Michael_McKenney
September 24th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I would say your partitions are corrupted. Can you boot the Windows DVD and remove all the partitions on the installation page? Once all the hard drives have nothing installed on them, it should start to install. I would get a new Ubuntu ISO on a DVD to try.

billy11
September 24th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I have not tried burning a linux iso and seeing if it would install yet ( that will be my next option) i do not have the windows dvd with me :/ the only windows iso i have is the NTLDRFIX.zip (im probably not spelling it right) and i know i cant really talk about windows iso's...