PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What Do You See When You Click Unity's Workplace Switcher?

buzzingrobot
September 23rd, 2014, 01:49 PM
In 14.04 Unity, when I click the workspace switcher in the Launcher, or do a Super-S, I see each available workspace against a *black* background.

Is that right? I seem to remember the current wallpaper being used as the background there.

What do you see?

Mike_Walsh
September 23rd, 2014, 05:25 PM
In 14.04 Unity, when I click the workspace switcher in the Launcher, or do a Super-S, I see each available workspace against a *black* background.

Is that right? I seem to remember the current wallpaper being used as the background there.

What do you see?

I see what you said you USED to see; my current wallpaper behind each one... ;)

Regards,

Mike.

deadflowr
September 23rd, 2014, 06:45 PM
You mean the workspaces and not the wall behind the workspaces?

My workspaces are always whatever wallpaper(s) I have set.
(Pluralizing because sometimes I use the wallpaper plugin, and set different wallpaper per workspace.

I usually set the expo to have a farther distance than the defaults, and when I do that, the background behind the workspace is black.
(Until i set reflection in ccsm > expo, then i get colors, but still no wallpaper.)

grahammechanical
September 23rd, 2014, 07:59 PM
The background wallpaper is still there in each of the four workspaces but the three inactive workspaces have a dark look to the wallpaper, as if in shadow. The active workspace has retains its brightly lit look.

Regards.

buzzingrobot
September 23rd, 2014, 08:54 PM
You mean the workspaces and not the wall behind the workspaces?

Uh-uh. I mean the wall behind the workspaces. It's just black. Can't recall if it's always been black. The whole display is rather dim, as well.

deadflowr
September 23rd, 2014, 10:54 PM
Uh-uh. I mean the wall behind the workspaces. It's just black. Can't recall if it's always been black. The whole display is rather dim, as well.

I thought that it was different before as well, at least prior to 12.04.
(I get the same thing in precise in terms of a black wall)
Maybe it was different in 11.10, or 10.10, or something.

In terms of dimness, I noticed that in precise if I have any windows within any workspace, whether they be open or minimized, those workspace would be lit up.
In trusty, I notice only the "currently in use" workspace gets lit up and all others get really dim.

I know you hate ccsm, but in that if you go to Expo, then into the tab for Appearance you can adjust the light for the other workspaces, in the section for Inactive Viewports. Mine is set at 40 for brightness by default, and I notice increasing that brightens the screen considerably. Like I said, know you hate it, but I can't think of another way right now. My apologizes for that.

buzzingrobot
September 23rd, 2014, 11:16 PM
I thought that it was different before as well, at least prior to 12.04.
(I get the same thing in precise in terms of a black wall)
Maybe it was different in 11.10, or 10.10, or something.

In terms of dimness, I noticed that in precise if I have any windows within any workspace, whether they be open or minimized, those workspace would be lit up.
In trusty, I notice only the "currently in use" workspace gets lit up and all others get really dim.

I know you hate ccsm, but in that if you go to Expo, then into the tab for Appearance you can adjust the light for the other workspaces, in the section for Inactive Viewports. Mine is set at 40 for brightness by default, and I notice increasing that brightens the screen considerably. Like I said, know you hate it, but I can't think of another way right now. My apologizes for that.

Thanks! You're seeing what I see, so I guess I'm not crazy after all.

It's not that I "hate" CCSM -- although I suspect I might have used that word somewhere along the line. ;) It's just that things go "boom" when I try to get clever with it. (Actually using it these days in Unity after becoming addicted to using the mouse wheel to change workspaces. Hope there's still a way to do that after Compiz and Unity part ways.)

mc4man
September 24th, 2014, 12:46 AM
If the 'background' was anything but dark (blackish) by default in an ubuntu session(unity) then it was quite some time ago. Always use rotate here so would have noticed as workspaces in expo are always linear & obviously don't fill the screen (screenshot, no changes to expo plugin after install

As far as 'scroll on desktop' in unity sans compiz no clue, may depend on whether apps are always fullscreen or allowed to be windowed & if the later are they always on top or stay on opening 'workspace'

buzzingrobot
September 24th, 2014, 01:50 AM
If the 'background' was anything but dark (blackish) by default in an ubuntu session(unity) then it was quite some time ago. Always use rotate here so would have noticed as workspaces in expo are always linear & obviously don't fill the screen (screenshot, no changes to expo plugin after install

As far as 'scroll on desktop' in unity sans compiz no clue, may depend on whether apps are always fullscreen or allowed to be windowed & if the later are they always on top or stay on opening 'workspace'

While the workspace switcher display shows the black background, CCSM's change-workspace-with-wheel-scroll uses the current wallpaper.

I'm habituated to working with one app per workspace, not full-screen but about 75%.

mc4man
September 24th, 2014, 02:04 AM
While the workspace switcher display shows the black background, CCSM's change-workspace-with-wheel-scroll uses the current wallpaper.

The 2 have nothing to do with each other
(Workspace Switcher icon is the expo plugin, scroll on desktop is Viewport Switcher > Desktop-based Viewport switching plugin

buzzingrobot
September 24th, 2014, 03:44 AM
The 2 have nothing to do with each other
(Workspace Switcher icon is the expo plugin, scroll on desktop is Viewport Switcher > Desktop-based Viewport switching plugin

True. Meanwhile, the workspace switcher has crashed Compiz on first use in every new install I've done since 12.04. That's another thread, though.