PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS installation fail, 3*HD 1*OS per drive

Andrew_Dennison
September 23rd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Hi I have a system with 3 hard drives, each with a three separate Ubuntu OS installed...

drive 1 (sda) is Ubuntu 13.04
drive 2 (sdb) is Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS
drive 3 (sdc) was Ubuntu 12.10

My problem is I have tried to do a clean installation of Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS from a Live-USB by erasing (sdc) Ubuntu 12.10. When it completes I restart the machine and I press F9 to choose drive to boot from, I select (sdc) drive 3 and all I get is a black screen and a blinking cursor line. The other 2 drives still boot fine. I have tried reinstalling again from USB and in the something else option I get this information...

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 ext4 Ubuntu 13.04
/dev/sda5 swap

/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1 ext4 Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS
/dev/sdb5 swap

/dev/sdc
free space 1mb
/dev/sdc1 efi 536mb 33mb (used)
/dev/sdc2 ext4 Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
/dev/sdc3 swap
free space 0mb

I am still relatively new to Ubuntu, but I have followed this same installation processes for a machine with dual boot windows and Ubuntu (same drive) and another with dual boot two versions of Ubuntu (Linux cnc and 14.04 LTS) each on separate drives with no problem. In truth I don't know what the problem is here to fix. Any advise would be greatly appreciated???

grahammechanical
September 23rd, 2014, 12:35 PM
The installer defaults to installing the Grub bootloader into sda. There is a panel with a drop-down menu that will let us change the location for the installation of Grub. My suggestion would be to boot to sda. You should get a grub boot menu with Ubuntu 14.04.1 on it. Load 14.04.1 and open a terminal and run

sudo update-grub
sudo grub-install /dev/sdc

Now when you boot sdc you should get a boot menu with the three versions of Ubuntu. When we have more than one hard drive and we want to change what drive boots then we need Grub installed into the MBR/EFI of each hard disk from the version of Ubuntu on that hard disk.

Regards.

oldfred
September 23rd, 2014, 04:52 PM
In addition to grahammechanical's comments, is this a newer system with UEFI (and BIOS)?

If you have an efi partition that would indicate an UEFI install. New systems with UEFI can boot in either UEFI or BIOS mode and how you boot installer is how it installs.
Then in UEFI/BIOS you have to turn on UEFI to boot an UEFI install or turn off UEFI or turn on CSM/BIOS/Legacy boot mode to boot in BIOS mode.

With multiple drives and installs best to see all the details, if just for your info on what is exactly where.
Post the link to the Create BootInfo summary report. Is part of Boot-Repair:
Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair