PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu from flash drive but error says it can't find the CD-ROM

penguinboy561
September 23rd, 2014, 05:50 AM
First, I've never tried installing any flavor of Linux before, so bear with me. I created a bootable flash drive using Universal USB Installer. I ran the Ubuntu installer, but it quickly errors out with several error messages:

Install: invalid user 'ubuntu'
Install: invalid user 'ubuntu'
Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/
E: Line 1 too long in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.
E: No CD-ROM could be auto-detected or found using the default mount point.
You may try the --cdrom option to set the CD-ROM mount point.
See 'man apt-cdrom' for more information about the CD-ROM auto-detection and mount point.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/per15/Debconf/Config.pm line 22.
Umount: cant umount /cdrom: Device or resource busy
Chown: invalid user: 'root:ssl-cert'
pwchk: cannot open /etc/passwd
chown: invalid user: 'root:root'
chmod: cannot access '/etc/passwd': Input/output error
chown: invalid user: 'root:shadow'
usermod: user 'root' does not exist
install: 'invalid user 'ubuntu'
install: 'invalid user 'ubuntu'

After that it just stalls indefinitely. There seem to be a number of things going on here, and I have no idea. It mentions the CD-ROM several times, but I am using a flash drive, not a CD or DVD. I verified that the CD drive was connected correctly. I even tried disconnecting it just to take it out of the equation, but it made no difference. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

mastablasta
September 23rd, 2014, 07:37 AM
it seems that the image was not done well.

try using unetbootin or Linux live usb or Yumi instead if you are on windows. but first make sure the md5 sum has matches the one on the website as they have to be exactly the same. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

penguinboy561
September 27th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks, that did it! I downloaded the image again, made sure the md5 sum was correct, and the install went properly.