PDA

View Full Version : Mate1.8

rosswmcgee
September 21st, 2014, 06:24 PM
Ubuntu 14.04lts is nice, and it allows me to use other desktops. So I installed Mate 1.8, a beautiful and uncomplicated desktop that allows me to use my computer with ease and fewer

mouse and keyboard movements. It seems to me that most of the systems that are supposed to be simpler really are not. What are some good reasons to use the standard ubuntu 14.04lts

desktop over the mate1.8??? I do not know of any.

Bucky Ball
September 21st, 2014, 06:29 PM
Neither do I, but I guess it's horses for courses. Whatever best suits the way you work. I could ask why everyone is not using xfce4, but it's not for everyone. But it's definitely for me. ;)

Go with what suits.

rosswmcgee
September 21st, 2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks I will take a look it via synaptic.

Erik1984
September 21st, 2014, 08:10 PM
What are some good reasons to use the standard ubuntu 14.04lts

desktop over the mate1.8??? I do not know of any.

Aesthetics? Of course this is very subjective but Unity does look more modern than Gnome2 / MATE. Also Unity gives you more vertical screen space with only one bar that is also used for the menu. I am not a Unity user myself but I sure see it's merits.

grahammechanical
September 21st, 2014, 10:05 PM
These things are just a different way of doing things. And it does not take long to adapt. I am fully adapted to Unity. I like it. I prefer it.

I have also installed Ubuntu Mate. It is the Mate desktop built on the Utopic Unicorn (14.10) development code. The developers have applied for it to be accepted as a official Ubuntu flavour. And the application has been welcomed. I could adapt to the Mate user interface in a couple of weeks.

It is Ubuntu to be tolerant of the choices of others.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

Regards.

tgalati4
September 22nd, 2014, 01:49 AM
MATE 1.8 in Linux Mint MATE 17 is a solid desktop environment. It works the way you expect and doesn't give you surprises.

buzzingrobot
September 22nd, 2014, 12:41 PM
The popular interfaces are all really much more alike than they are different. They all use stack window managers (windows overlay each other on the desktop), icons, menus of some form or another (including Unity and Gnome Shell; their full-screen displays are esssentially menus adorned with large icons), and they all allow icons to be placed in convenient containers called docks/panels.

Usability studies can, and have, been run on different interfaces in attempts to measure efficiency (mouseclicks required to accomplish some task or another). But, I think that most of us make subjective decisions based on appearance and *our* ability to quickly adapt to using a new interface. If we adapt quickly, we tend to call that interface "intuitive". It just means it was easy for us to figure it out.

stalkingwolf
September 22nd, 2014, 04:36 PM
what are the advantages of one DE over another? personal preference. its like a group of people going out for dinner. one wants salad, another steak, another , seafood, another pasta, another surf and turf. personal preference.

vasa1
September 22nd, 2014, 06:17 PM
Ubuntu 14.04lts is nice, and it allows me to use other desktops. So I installed Mate 1.8, a beautiful and uncomplicated desktop that allows me to use my computer with ease and fewer

mouse and keyboard movements. ...
What could be less complicated than an uncomplicated desktop? An Openbox session: no desktop at all.

Rob Sayer
September 26th, 2014, 02:14 PM
It's be more pertinent to compare Unity to Cinnamon. Mate is a lighter DE and more comparable with XFCE really. Though I found Mate rather slow myself. It's OK but I wasn't all that impressed.

A lot of Windows refugees would like Mate more than Unity because it's more like Windows. I don't really like Unity either but for different reasons ... I found it slow and problematic. I have xubuntu on my netbook and Kubuntu on the laptop I use at home most of the time.

While I didn't like Mate all that much I wouldn't want to talk anybody out of using it. But there are 3 other official ubuntu DEs, and until Mate is supported by Canonical ... or if ... I don't see why I should use a 3rd party DE. You just won't get the tech support.

You could just use Linux Mint with the Mate desktop. But while I don't have any problems with Mint per se, I can't recommend itto newbies because their tech support is not good. At all. I've had Mint installed twice on my netbook and both times had to search ubuntu support for config issues. There didn't seem to be anyone on the mint forums who even understood the problem. This approach works, but only if you know what to search for, which newbies don't.

buzzingrobot
September 26th, 2014, 03:17 PM
A lot of Windows refugees would like Mate more than Unity because it's more like Windows.

The bottom panel in MATE, as wells as KDE and XFCE, by default behaves a lot like the panel in Windows. So, folks who don't know yet that there are alternatives to running everything on a single workspace and constantly minimizing, opening, and shuffling windows around will feel more at home than on interfaces like Gnome and Unity that exploit multiple workspaces and don't really require minimization at all.

oldrocker99
September 26th, 2014, 05:47 PM
MATE actually is a bit more like the Mac, with menus at the top. Having never used a Mac much, I still learned how to use GNOME 2.x, which came with Ubuntu 8.04, in about 8 minutes, and MATE is a fork of the old GNOME, back when it was still useful. It's still being developed, and it will only get better, unlike (IMHO) GNOME 3.x, which (again, IMHO) has regressed and taken features out that used to exist, all in the name of "making GNOME better."

Better for whom? I've been usng MATE since 1.2, and it is very lightweight (comparable to LXDE or LXQT), and lets me do what I want my computer to do, the way I want it to work.

vasa1
September 26th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Don't most Ubuntu flavors, not just Unity and GNOME, have multiple workspaces available?

tgalati4
September 26th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Does anyone remember the switch from KDE 3.5.6 to 4.0.0? It was a rough ride at first. The switch from gnome2 to gnome3 is similar. Whenever a major framework undergoes a rewrite, many things won't work out-of-the-box. To the end user, it seems obvious that everything should work. But under the hood, there is a lot of programming work that is needed to regain the "old" functionality.

So while some folks dismiss MATE as a deadend Desktop Environment based on a deadend framework (gnome2 codebase with MATE fixes/enhancements), it works for many users. At some point gnome3 will reach that level of familiarity and function for all users. Perhaps it is close to that point already. Can anyone argue that the current version of KDE has less functionality than the old 3.5.6 version?

buzzingrobot
September 26th, 2014, 06:59 PM
MATE actually is a bit more like the Mac, with menus at the top. Having never used a Mac much, I still learned how to use GNOME 2.x, which came with Ubuntu 8.04, in about 8 minutes, and MATE is a fork of the old GNOME, back when it was still useful. It's still being developed, and it will only get better, unlike (IMHO) GNOME 3.x, which (again, IMHO) has regressed and taken features out that used to exist, all in the name of "making GNOME better."

Gnome2/MATE's menus are panel applets, and the panels can be located on any of the 4 edges of the desktop. Different distros default to different panel locations.

Most interfaces seem to me equally easy to use (not to setup) once I decide to use them as intended. Doesn't mean I like using them equally, though. Menus, Dashes and Overviews all work well enough when limited to a smallish number of entries. I.e,, one level deep and quickly scannable. No one seems to have a good way for users to find and launch the hundreds of executables often on a system, though.

rosswmcgee
November 26th, 2014, 01:39 AM
Well I stared this thread and lots of good opinions here. We needed to replace three old computers, I put mate on one for my wife, and the other two ubuntu 14.04lts. Not only did I prefer

mate but I like opera the best too. So one of the ubuntus I did install mate and opera. On the third I went with the unity desktop and decided to force myself to use it. So now to be truthful

I have come to use Firefox, Tbird and the unity desktop. Now as one of the commensts here suggested in his note, I prefer it. So a beautiful thing about ubuntu 14.04 is I can choose

a number of different desktops. My older computers were if you can remeber that far back had 1.8 gb hd's, and ubuntu would not install on them. Now I have 3 computers with 1 tb ea.

thaniks for all the comments. If my memory is correct I started my first linux os with a distro called LIndows, then they became Linspire and I do not know what happened after that, I have

used so many distros I lost track. I prefer debian based linux, and have not paid for a computer os at least 30 years. I usually wind up back with Ubuntu.

user1397
November 27th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I tried the ubuntu mate beta a couple months ago and for some reason it seemed to lag a lot on my computer, like way more than unity or kde. I'll try it again, I would definitely consider going back to the gnome 2 way of doing things; it was what I was used to from the beginning of ubuntu for many years.