PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 boots to GRUB menu

rudy1094
September 21st, 2014, 02:24 PM
I finally clicked the Ok button to allow Ubuntu to upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04. When it rebooted, it sent me to a GNU GRUB version 2.02 menu. I'm guessing the upgrade didn't go perfectly and something is amiss. How do I fix it? Thanks.

yancek
September 21st, 2014, 03:03 PM
When you see the menu you posted, what happens when you hit the Enter key or let it timeout? Does it not boot?

rudy1094
September 21st, 2014, 05:10 PM
There's no timeout on the menu. If I hit enter the screen goes black with a cursor in the upper right corner blinking for a little bit and then the computer reboots and goes back to the GRUB menu.

Bashing-om
September 21st, 2014, 08:02 PM
rudy1094; Humm;

Grub can not locate it's config files, or they are corrupted ?
Mind you I do not know all there is to know about grub, but, I am willing to work with you to find a resolution.
Will be easier to work from a liveDVD, but we can see what grub knows presently.
Boot to the grub boot menu, with that top entry high-lighted, press the 'c' key for a command line interface.
What returns from:

search -f /vmlinuz
search -f /sbin/init
search --set=root --file /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Once we know where the 'root' file system is installed to, and where the config files are installed to, we can try and direct grub to boot the system from grub, and once booted try and repair grub to boot automagically.

hey, It could happen