PDA

View Full Version : XFCE: Settings for Monitor and Keyboard lost on reboot, default settings issue

hans12345
September 20th, 2014, 04:20 PM
This is bizarre. I have been running Xubuntu (now with 14.04.1) for years, but since a recommended upgrade maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago I have got 2 problems. Note: I have not changed the configuration or hardware of my PC. My other PCs do not show this problem with Xubuntu.

When I boot up the PC, the monitor starts up in 1680 x 1050, with dead bands on the side of my screen. The applications keep addressing the screen as if it was my usual setup, 1600 x 1200. So I use the settings manager to fix it, now everything works in 1600 x 1200. Until I reboot, when the problem reappears.

Same problem with my US layout keyboard. It boots as a UK KB, I change it to a US one, all is fine until my next reboot.

Evidently the settings manager does not change the default behaviour.

So:
- any ideas what the hell is going on?
- how can I change the default behaviour (preferable by a GUI action)

Thanks for your help

hans12345
September 23rd, 2014, 08:17 AM
I perhaps should add that this is a home built PC (made last year), AMD X35 CPU and graphics card.

suburbanworrier2
October 3rd, 2014, 09:45 AM
Hi Hans,

No solution from me but I wanted to +1 your issue as I've got identical problems. I've been stably running Xubuntu for years and this issue has just struck with my upgrade to 14.04.

hans12345
October 5th, 2014, 07:34 AM
It is clearly a problem related to the regular system updates.

It started about 2 weeks ago. Now, for me, the update earlier this week fixed the display problem. But I still have the Keyboard problem (KB defaults to UK settings, and I have to reset it to US settings after each reboot).