PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] NODM (display manager) doesn't start X in my system.

fernando29
September 20th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Hi.

I am seting up a kiosk system, so I followed this (http://nexxylove.tumblr.com/post/22690398464/ubuntu-web-kiosk-in-10-easy-steps) tutorial, where it is given the instruction for, starting from a "text only" system (I used a Lubuntu Minimal), to set up a kiosk by installing xorg and nodm.

Now, all went well with xorg. If I run:

$ startx

my ~/.xsession file get executed (I am using leafpad only as a simple test):

#!/usr/bin/env bash
echo "something" > /root/someFile
leafpad

but when I boot the system, all I got is a black screen and "/root/someFile" is not even created. It is supposed that nodm should trigger an XSession, but something is happening. My /etc/default/nodm is:

NODM_ENABLED=true

NODM_USER=root

NODM_FIRST_VT='7'

NODM_XSESSION=/etc/X11/Xsession

NODM_X_OPTIONS='-nolisten tcp'

NODM_MIN_SESSION_TIME=60

I have tried with a different (non root) user too, but the result is the same.

If I run:

$ nodm

X is started and /root/someFile is created.

I hope somebody could give me some help in this regard. Thanks.

ibjsb4
September 21st, 2014, 12:09 PM
Your link is 404 (broke).

Have you edited /etc/X11/default-display-manager to include nodm? It should read like this:

/usr/sbin/nodm

fernando29
October 1st, 2014, 12:21 AM
Your link is 404 (broke).

Have you edited /etc/X11/default-display-manager to include nodm? It should read like this:

/usr/sbin/nodm

Hi ibjsb4.

Thanks for your response. I fixed the link. Regarding my initial problem, I got an alternative solution, by using "rungetty" instead nodm. mingetty lets you auto login with the user you want, and then launch X (startx) or the program you want from /root/.bash_profile file.